Ptsd

Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

I have PTSD, which gets triggered by all kinds of things. I had a good day yesterday, but then could not get a hold of my grandson and this brought back an original trauma and many subsequent traumas related to not being able to get a hold of people I love - or fearing they are in danger somehow.

Nothing ever prepares me for dealing with this - and before I know it, my body is flooded with all of the chemicals that are released by being in fear.

The only correction I have found is massage, however, I cannot get massaged every day of my life.

If I had a Jacuzzi or hot tub I think that might help, but I don't.

It's pure Hell.

EFT helps after the fact, but not to prevent it from occurring over and over again. Basically, I get retraumatized every time it happens.

If anyone has any experience with this particular issue and has had success in any holistic modality, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seek, at the risk of sounding insensitive, I think your quote is a great holistic modality.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well." Dame Julian of Norwich

Maybe each time it happens, repeat this quote, and let the chemicals flow right on by...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish it were that easy. When the chemicals get released in the body, it takes time to get them out - but I will try it. I need a lobotomy, I think.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about a punching bag?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Just say no to lobotomies! LOL
Saying the Serenity Prayer over and over helps me. Also, deep breathing and esp yoga can help this. Have you gotten the Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Bourne? It's supposed to be great.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Have you tried posting on the mental health board? Might be someone there who can help you out.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise helps with my ptsd. I know how you feel. Triggers can be brutal
Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seek, sometimes, somethings are just out of our control.

For me personally, acceptance of the unknown and what the future holds are not going to possess/consume MY today.

I have to continue to tell myself it's not for me to decide/control. Everything for a reason, my friend....... the laughter, the love, the tears and heartache..... they all belong to us, if you are lucky enough to live a long healthy life, these are what we get/have to experience.

It really doesn't matter how many times life knocks us over, what matters is how many times we get back up. And its so very OK to stumble and fall along the way. It's all part of a bigger picture that will present itself in it's own time.

Peace to you.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many sessions with a therapist was the only thing that helped me.

L

Edit to add: Also, with a diagnosis of PTSD, my insurance covered the therapy.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the punching bag idea. I dealt with my first divorce with kick boxing. I am looking at karate for the second.

And if you have read any of my previous posts, you'll know I am a big fan of therapy.

Lastly, I simply refuse to let my whacked out head determine how my life is going to look. I have daily arguments with the voices in my head, and I always win!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To the people who have posted about thinking - you must not have PTSD - once it gets triggered, it's not about thinking . . . it's about dealing with the bad feelings in your body that were created by hormones being released when you were in fear. It is a physical and emotional response to extreme fear that floods the body. It feels terrible.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Acupuncture, yoga?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So sorry Seek. I can't begin to imagine how it must feel.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Massage helps release it . . .it just seems crazy that the only solution is to spend that much money, day after day. I hope I learn other ways to heal it. Yoga would probably be good. It's like I need a nurse on-call to take care of me and drive me to yoga, or whatever . . . it's so painful and so inconvenient. I hold out hope that there is some way to heal it that I am not aware of yet.

I also use aromatherapy and flower essences - but everything is a bandaid, so far.

Thanks, everyone for suggesting stuff.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have you ever tried breath-work? This has always been really helpful for me.

From Dr. Andrew Weil >

Exercise 2:
The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If massages help you, consider other ways that you can get heavy pressure, which many individuals find calming to their nervous system. Laying with an especially heavy blanket on you, wrapping yourself up in a blanket tightly or any activities where you do a lot of tensing and relaxing of your muscles (like karate, swimming, tennis, rowing or raquetball) might help to calm yourself. The punching bad idea sound great too.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
Have you ever tried breath-work? This has always been really helpful for me.

From Dr. Andrew Weil >

Exercise 2:
The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.
This is so funny. I taught my elderly relative this procedure for her anxiety. And I have done workshops in Breathwork, but of course, I FORGET during times of stress. Duh. Thank you. Very helpful.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
If massages help you, consider other ways that you can get heavy pressure, which many individuals find calming to their nervous system. Laying with an especially heavy blanket on you, wrapping yourself up in a blanket tightly or any activities where you do a lot of tensing and relaxing of your muscles (like karate, swimming, tennis, rowing or raquetball) might help to calm yourself. The punching bad idea sound great too.
The thing about massage is that it releases stress, AND it is nurturing. Where I live there is Chinese Massage for $25 plus ten buck tip, so for $35, I can find relief. It's just hard to justify that I need it so much. It seems freakish.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have done body work to help with my PTSD. PTSD is often catagorized as unresolved issues in the nervous system....for me this is why the body stuff helps. It goes directly to the areas that are "overstimulated."

Therapy helped. All therapy, but the type I really dived into my PTSD stuff with was Hakomi, but I bet any other body centered therapy would work also.

I have had very few reactions to PTSD since working with both modalities.

Further into my recovery (just the way I did it). I used meditation and got a lot of relief and am currently doing something called Tension Releasing Exercises which is a lot about releasing trauma. I also used EFT during this time. I have found ALL of them to be great, but I don't know if EFT, TRE etc would have move me in my recovery like Body Work and Hakomi did.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
The thing about massage is that it releases stress, AND it is nurturing. Where I live there is Chinese Massage for $25 plus ten buck tip, so for $35, I can find relief. It's just hard to justify that I need it so much. It seems freakish.
We need what we need. Whatever it takes for us to live a healthy life we must grab onto!! You don't need to justify taking care of yourself, you deserve that. I have a long hot, scented bath with beautiful music every single night - no one better mess with my "me" time.

A massage a day doesn't seem freakish to me. It's very smart!! What seems freakish to me is how low on the priorities most of us put our health. If the whole world would take care of their stress with such diligence . . . health would be the norm instead of the exception.

You're just one step ahead - enjoy!