Notices

Choosing a sponsor?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choosing a sponsor?

A male co-worker of mine who has been sober for 8 years now, goes to AA and suggested a meeting he thought I would like that have women around my age with young children. I've gone the last 2 Monday nights and I LOVED it, felt immediately comfortable, which I have never felt in the past trying AA. Originally thought the meetings only would be enough, but after going I now feel that having a sponsor will be very beneficial to me. I think there is one that I really like and connected to, but how do I make the decision. Do I wait a few more weeks or dive right into choosing?

I have been sober for 4 months now, after several relapses I am seeing clearer that in order for me to remain sober for the rest of my life I have to make changes, work a program, get a sponsor because the WILL to remain sober has NOT been enough for me.

Shannon
Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Part of AA is working the steps and from my experience, that is done with a sponsor. Maybe you can do them without a sponsor? I don't know but it doesn't sound likely.

I have chosen another recovery path but used AA in the beginning. I had a sponsor. There really wasn't a "right" time to ask for one so I just asked. Yes it's awkward but I can't imagine she'll make you feel uneasy. And a sponsor isn't a forever decision. If you don't mesh with her after a reasonable time, you can let her know and find someone that is a better fit.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shanman422 View Post
I think there is one that I really like and connected to, but how do I make the decision.
I'd give it a shot...You can always talk to her about being a temporary sponsor to start...No hard feelings if it doesn't work out....And you can get going on the steps...I did that with my sponsor and he's still my sponsor today.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PS....Glad you found the right meeting!!...That's awesome!!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no advice to offer on the AA sponsor issue, but I want to congratulate you on 4 months sober. Good for you!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Like it was said.. Step work

Meetings are awesome I love them, but they are for fellowship.

Your sobriety lies in working the steps in your daily living. So since you love that meeting, I would take the person that makes the comments I love the most and run up to her and ask her to sponsor me..

Stay on the beam..
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK... thank you! I will call her then and see what happens! Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.