Pregnant Heroin Addict

Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant Heroin Addict

My 24 yr old daughter is addicted to pain meds & heroin. I live over 100 miles from her in another state & she refuses to come live with me.

I just learned that it is dangerous to detox a pregnant woman but I found a hospital that will "stabilize" (?) her & then send her to a residential treatment center.

Her father was in a methadone clinic for over 10 years until his death. Since she is homeless & car-less there is no way she could get to a clinic everyday after she leaves the treatment center.

I also read that Subutex is option. Could someone tell me if you need to go to a clinic daily or is it a prescription with weekly or monthly outpatient treatment? I've found doctors & centers in both states but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Subutex treatment during pregnancy?

p.s. I'm a recovering alcoholic so I do have experience with addiction but watching my daughter struggle with this is frustrating and heartbreaking.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Pebbles,

As I have been through a similar experience with my daughter, I know your pain, confusion, and frustration. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. My daughter finally gave in and moved in with me, from one state to another. When she got down here she had no difficulty getting state aid in this state because she was pregnant. It varies from state to state but usually pregnancy will get expedited reseults.

I hope your daughter comes to her senses, for her own life, as well as your's and the unborn child. I wish you good luck and hope this turns out well, big hug. Take care.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm sorry, Pebbles, and will keep your daughter in my prayers.

I know nothing of how this should be handled, but I hope she uses this time to get healthy for herself and for the unborn baby.

Hugs
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies & support. I tried looking for Nar-Anon meetings in my area but the closest one is 45 minutes away. (Getting old, hard seeing/driving at night) Same with Al-Anon. Maybe I can find some online meetings.

I'm going to see her today. She has an appointment today with a new therapist at 6pm. I'm going down this morning to see if she is open to entering the hospital before her therapy but if not maybe the therapist can convince her. This time, I'm meeting up with & bringing a friend for support, because these trips are exhausting for me between the driving, arguing & frustration. Whatever she decides, I can stay at my friends house if I'm too tired to drive home. She doesn't realize or chooses not to see how she is affecting my new marriage, new job & my sobriety. Hmmm...well I'm letting her affect all those.

At the rate she is going, she is going to end up in jail, pregnant with no treatment, which is dangerous for both her & the baby.

I'm sooooo tired & I just woke up. It's my only day off from work but not from being a mother. This is going to be one long day. :/
Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Somewhere today, take some "you" time. Get out for a walk, drive somewhere pretty, go to the library and find some good books to read that allow your mind to "escape" the worries.

If you take even one special hour or two is even better...you may be amazed at how much difference it makes and how it recharges your spirit.

If we can't fine at least an hour or two a day just for us, then it's time to reschedule life and make time. Otherwise we get overwhelmed and implode.

Trust a mama who's been there, and who knows your pain.

Hugs
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you have a good day meeting your daughter…

Methadone is still the option of choice for pregnant woman. And while I know a lot about subutex it is more recent within the past few years that they started using it with pregnant woman. One thing she shouldn’t do is kick.

In terms of where she is, the car she doesn’t have. She gets to her drugs, she can get anywhere without a car if she wants too. After treatment she can opt to go to a sober living house, and also there are many organizations that help homeless pregnant women … hell if she gets into some treatment somewhere her possibilities change drastically and her options will widen.

Subutex treatment is usually every 2 weeks ( the first 2 to 4 visits ) in the very beginning and then monthly. But methadone treatment allows in time for weekly, bi weekly and up to monthly take homes. A privilege that is earned with time and something that she will control with her actions.

Never underestimate what anyone can do and accomplish if they are allowed to and no one is telling them they can’t or treating them as if they are incapable just because they are an addict (recovering or not) . My son without a car, had no issue getting drugs, getting to his gf’s, getting to outpatient, getting a job and getting to work. Mainly because no one was gonna pick up his slack and I always treated him as capable.

And yeah it is you allowing her choices to effect your life.

I will keep her in my prayers.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Praying for you today.....I am so sorry you are dealing with this and have to go through it. How do you even find her (being that she is homeless and carless)? I assume you have a meeting place? Which must mean that she is at least open to your help? Bless her heart, and the baby. I can't imagine how terrified you must be. Hugs to you and special prayers that the day brings you some comfort and relief!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you again & thank you incitingsilence for the Subutex info.

I left my house at 8a, found her at her one of her "friends" house about 11a...took her out for lunch to talk. Left her alone with my friend so could share her experience & talk with her....took her to pick up some things at another "friends" house & caught her "friend" sticking a needle in my daughter's arm. As much as I wanted to KNOCK them BOTH out, I took her out of that house & to her therapy appointment where she met with the therapist & agreed to at least go a medical center in Boston to get evaluated & stabilized for a few days before hopefully go to another inpatient program. I wanted to drive directly to Boston.

Well....it never happened. Long story but I ended up leaving her & telling her to call me when she is ready. Broke my heart.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh Pebbles, I am so sorry! I had so hoped you would be able to tell us she agreed to get some help! Praying for you and your daughter and grandbaby tonight!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Pebbles128 View Post
My 24 yr old daughter is addicted to pain meds & heroin. I live over 100 miles from her in another state & she refuses to come live with me.

I just learned that it is dangerous to detox a pregnant woman but I found a hospital that will "stabilize" (?) her & then send her to a residential treatment center.

Her father was in a methadone clinic for over 10 years until his death. Since she is homeless & car-less there is no way she could get to a clinic everyday after she leaves the treatment center.

I also read that Subutex is option. Could someone tell me if you need to go to a clinic daily or is it a prescription with weekly or monthly outpatient treatment? I've found doctors & centers in both states but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Subutex treatment during pregnancy?

p.s. I'm a recovering alcoholic so I do have experience with addiction but watching my daughter struggle with this is frustrating and heartbreaking.
This is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read here. This is beyond awful, and I'm really, really sorry you're going through this.

The sad truth is if your daughter is refusing help, then there's really nothing you can do. I'm aware that's really difficult to accept. I really, really hope that somehow, someway, she makes the decision to seek recovery, not only for her sake, but for the sake of her baby.

Best,
ZoSo
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pebbles128 View Post
Thank you again & thank you incitingsilence for the Subutex info.

I left my house at 8a, found her at her one of her "friends" house about 11a...took her out for lunch to talk. Left her alone with my friend so could share her experience & talk with her....took her to pick up some things at another "friends" house & caught her "friend" sticking a needle in my daughter's arm. As much as I wanted to KNOCK them BOTH out, I took her out of that house & to her therapy appointment where she met with the therapist & agreed to at least go a medical center in Boston to get evaluated & stabilized for a few days before hopefully go to another inpatient program. I wanted to drive directly to Boston.

Well....it never happened. Long story but I ended up leaving her & telling her to call me when she is ready. Broke my heart.
This is just heartbreaking. You did the right thing. I'm praying for you, your daughter, and her unborn child. Please try to be kind to yourself. Make sure you're eating and trying to get some rest. I know it must be unbearably difficult for you right now, I'm so sorry about all of this.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so sorry and pray she will have a change of heart soon.

Hugs
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that your trip ended up like that. I am a recovered heroin addict, and I will pray that your daughter chooses to seek recovery for herself and her unborn baby.

Please be easy on yourself, you have done everything a mother can do. The rest is up to her. Although she has no car, she will find a way if she decides that she wants recovery bad enough. As said before, I know addicts who would find ways to get drugs an hour away everyday, get to work, and get to friends with no problem. The only time they would claim that their car affected them was when it came to NA meetings or going to rehab/detox.

Both of you will be in my thoughts. Please don't let your sobriety, new job, or new marriage go down the drain because of her addiction. I know you love her with all your heart, but you have fought hard to get where you are, and just because she isn't choosing to have a good life, doesn't mean that you don't deserve one.

-huggggsssssss-

Maylie