Notices

Day 20, checking in, and feeling awesome!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20, checking in, and feeling awesome!

Today is day 20, and it's my first sober belly button birthday since I turned 21.

I had a game night/pot luck to celebrate last night, and we had a great turn out. Others brought their own beer and I supplied the sodas. I've had a blast in the last two days, and I am feeling pretty great.

I attribute a few things to my success so far, the biggest of them being the treatment I opted for. After I had my addiction screening, I was prescribed Campral. The doc gave me a few prescription options (including Antabuse and another drug that would negate the effects of alcohol, so even if I drank I wouldn't feel a thing), among them being a prescription for Campral. Campral basically inhibits alcohol cravings, and I chose it because I don't want to have the desire to drink - period. Basically what happens is when someone offers me a drink, or if I think of having one, or when it's present around me, it feels much like someone offering me some kind of food I have no appetite for. It's kind of like trying to figure out what you want to eat for dinner some night but nothing sounds good. Alcohol just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I do have slight headaches from time to time. I find that eating a chocolate or something helps with that. I imagine my body is adjusting to not having so much sugar to run on from metabolizing a case of beer every day. I'll throw it a bone with a candy bar every now and again, nothing too crazy. I've also noticed that my appetite has waned a bit, but I make sure to eat several small, nutritious meals throughout the day. I've also upped my gym visits - I always feel like eating a horse after working out. Some insomnia's popped up, but being a little sleepy the next day is a thousand times better than waking up hung-over. That's about it as far as side effects go, and it's possible that these aren't side effects of the medication at all, but rather ongoing symptoms of withdrawal. Either way, these issues are minor and I think the Campral has made all the difference this time around.

In addition to the medication, I have been going to AA meetings several times a week. While I have no desire to drink, I still go to meet new friends and listen to stories. It is easy to forget reasons why I quit, and I'm constantly reminded of the dangers I face if I ever choose to pick back up. I have made a few friends already, and was even invited to chair a meeting though I'd only had a couple weeks sober - it's not the norm to chair before you hit your 30 days, so I definitely felt very honored and welcomed.

On top of these things, I have had amazing support from friends and family. While people drinking around me doesn't bother me in the slightest, a number of the people who showed up at my party who usually do drink didn't drink out of respect for my new lifestyle. While I let them know I didn't mind, they still made that choice. Their willingness to be supportive in that way was phenomenal and let me know that they truly care about this change in my life.

I'm excited to be on track still, and excited to know that fun still happens without alcohol. I truly thought getting through this birthday would be harder than it was. Some days don't feel quite so easy, but that's just how life is. I gave myself the best birthday present this year: the longest period of sobriety that I have had in the last three years. Still excited and willing to remain sober under all circumstances. I pray everyone out there still struggling finds their way. Sobriety rocks! It really, really does. 7
Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! This is indeed a great start to your new life. Keep up the great work and posting your accomplishments for everyone to see!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rose
You sound great. It is wonderful you are able to enjoy your early sobriety. I am glad the medication is helping with cravings. That was tough for me in my early sobriety. I had to learn to fight them off.

Keep going to meetings! They help a lot