Notices

Is this normal????

Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Is this normal????

So I have been sober now for 9 days today and counting. Is it normal to be really hungry, I just can't get enough of food. Also I am itching a lot, why is this? One more thing one minute I'm fone and the next I'm so stressy, my moods are up and down. Any feed back will be grately received xx
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

You could be itchy as a result of toxins releasing...I ha very itchy feet during that time.

A lot of people crave sweets in early sobriety. Also drunks rob body of nutrients
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days!...Good for you. I found myself hungry when I stopped because towards the end of my drinking...I wasn't eating....Nothing. But yeah...My appetite was probably closer to what it should be....Which seemed like a lot for me..... Itchy?...You bet...Also normal....We have a valued member here who took that name for that reason. It will go away with time...I don't remember exactly when for me....Somewhere in the first month...I found a cool shower helped me if it really bothered me. Mood swings?...I was all over the map...I heard early on it would be a rollercoaster ride and I couldn't have described it better...Hang on tight and don't drink....All of these things will even out with TIME....Things I Must Earn....Keep moving forward and it will get better every day you don't drink.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think all you described is probably part of your withdrawal. I also was very hungry. From what I have read, episodes of anxiety and stress often occur during first months of sobriety. The days gradually get more balanced. After 2 1/2 months, the withdrawal fog lifted for me. Every day will be getting better. Congrats on 9 days.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All completely normal symptoms to be expected in the first couple of weeks. The itching is your previously vitamin starved peripheral nerve endings fixing themselves and 'waking up'.
The appetite increase is your nutrient starved body demanding a big hit of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. And the mood swings, are your still detoxing brain putting things back into 'sober order' Don't worry, it'll all soon settle down.
Well done on your sober time, things just get better and better
Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't think I would really have withdrawal's as I did nt drink ever day. Clearly I was drinking more than I realised. xx
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Toxins leaving your body, the body is healing. We numb ourselves for a long time.

You are normal in early early recovery! It gets better and those symptoms will go away in time.

Give Time Time!! Heal well!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy

Totally normal i'm afraid. I ate like there was no tomorrow for the first 2 months. Starting to level out though! My advice is to concentrate on one thing at a time. If you put on a few pounds, so what. Soon you'll have more energy than ever before and you'll want to exercise to remove the little weight you've gained

Take Care

Julynine
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, all to be expected. The itchiness was the worst part for me. I used some topical anti-itch cream because otherwise I would itch to the breaking point. Also took some Benadryl which helped a bit. Not medical advice though. Just what helped me.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am permanently starving, so much so that I was convinced I was pregnant despite having the Coil fitted!!

I just eat, I know I shouldn't but I do. I don't eat healthily either!

I never ate very well when drinking, swapping dinner for Wine.. but I am enjoying eating..

It always fades though after a few weeks then I lose weight.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Daisy1981,

the only experience I can share with you is that my recovering alcohlic lovely brother has for the first time ever in 20 years (he has been drinking since he was 16 in the Royal Air Force) has got a bit of a tummy going on and he is very happy :>
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup...itchy, exhausted and STARVING. I never ate 3 meals a day in all of my life, even before I started drinking at 35, and now I'm eating that and more. I too didn't eat hardly at all while I was active - beer fills me up and I really just ate in order to stay alive and functioning. Guess that catches up with us once the poison is gone.

I'm also struggling with anxiety (which I never had before) and "brain fog" but that is lifting a little each day. I've found from reading SR that my symptoms are somewhat normal and that gives me some peace of mind. The itch did lessen dramatically at about day 9 - I swore I had bedbugs or something but turns out it was just another lovely parting gift alcohol left me with!

It does get better ... hang in there!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'll add one to the list...the sweating, oh the sweating!! It is finally abating, but I was running like a river from every pore for those first days!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here. A lot of it is vitamin and nutrient deficiency. Grab some multivitamins (especially Bs) and it will help. I'm still craving sweets like crazy. Today I already had a scone, a donut and a cookie... I'm gonna hate myself tomorrow lol
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post's there really helpful. I've eaten loads today and now I'm feeling so bloated lol, better to be food bloated than wine bloated though. xx

[QUOTE=IWillWin;3580243]
I'm also struggling with anxiety (which I never had before) and "brain fog" but that is lifting a little each day.QUOTE]. I've had anxiety but I find running helps me but if you dont like to run any exercise helps. Have a try hopefully you'll feel the same x

Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

as they say , this too shall pas. its all part of your body de-toxing. it ends just try to watch what you eat
Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey kiddo! See my name? I m=named myself that because I was flaking itchy and had dandruff for the first time in my life. I had blood tests every month for three months so my Doc reassured me I was fine. It is now two years and even though I am not itchy anymore, I remain Itchy here.

Stay the course it passes eventually. Took months for me.