Notices

Lucky Me

Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EAE

Lucky Me

No, seriously. I feel lucky, and I'll tell you why.

It boggles my mind that there are so many people out there who lead normal healthy lives that don't appreciate what they have. The bright side of being an alcoholic, is that every sober day that we live presents itself as a gift. For example, the food that the US donates over seas to African countries takes the form of a mash - something most would deem inedible. To them, however, it is a miracle - something that keeps them alive and sustains their family. Without the absence of food, however, we aren't able to look at what they have in the same light, just as someone who isn't an alcoholic may not be able look at what some would call a "normal" sober life life as enthusiastically as we can. I've been lurking for some time now, and it is amazing to me how many of you truly appreciate the simple things in life, and I want to be a part of it.

I'm new here. 8 days so far. I won't let myself get to the point again where I can't see the truth - that every single day that we are able to stay sober is a miracle.

-EAE
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

You are right experiencing life as it is meant to be is a gift. Well done on your time. It gets better.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Yupp a lot of people take a lot of things for granted, jobs, libraries/education, food, peace, health, life, sobriety.
Happyness for me, is more about being thankfull and appreciating what i do have than worrying over what i don't or did'nt have .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great perspective, welcome and congrats on 8 days.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR EAE

I consider myself extraordinarily lucky & privileged, so I know where you're coming from.
Glad you've joined us

D
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR EAE

Great first post and well done on 8 days!

Before stopping drinking I used everything as an excuse to drink so it's no wonder I always looked on the negative side! Plus alcohol just took away my will to live! It doesn't take long to start appreciating the smaller things on the other side

Glad you're here x
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear EAE,

well done for your 8 days and a great inspiring post.

I think that a lot of normal people, whatever that means to each of us would find it very difficult to relate to those who have big issues....I know I did before my brother became an alcoholic. I just thought, why don't you just stop drinking. How nieve/obllivious was I.

Nice to see you here.