Notices

A tip for the newly sober

Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A tip for the newly sober

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, especially if you never drank beer, but I'm more than three years sober and recently discovered when I go out to bars how great a club soda/selzter water and lime is. When I'm drinking it, I feel almost as if I'm drinking beer because of the carbonation and the lime gives it a little flavor. I don't need this at this point in my sobriety, but I was thinking how doing that when I first started out in recovery after being addicted to beer might help me feel like I'm still "drinking" without the bad side effects and make me feel a little less awkward when out. You could also obviously do this at home too. I don't know why, but that more than soda seems to work for my brain. That is a tip for some who still miss drinking, but not the bad times that come with it. That and it's not really addictive. I kind of wish I started drinking that more than soda and consuming sugar because right now I'm still dealing with replacing my alcohol addiction for a sugar addiction. That would be my other tip to the newly sober, it's natural for your body to crave sugar but go easy on it or have a plan to moderate because it can take a toll on your mental health as well. Anyway just a thought.