Notices

Unbelievable weakness and stupidity

Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kza

I read some ARVT stuff this lunchtime, followed the flashcards stuff online, swore out loud I would never dink ever again. It lasted six hours and here I am drinking.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So just reading about it isn't working, I guess.

Doesn't matter whether it's AVRT, AA or SMART - you need to commit to it 110%. - you need to do exactly what it says to do without missing any steps.

I did it with AA
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No matter what you choose to follow or not follow, what you read isn't going to change your life. It can inform you... give you more tools... but ultimately, being sober is your choice to make, and your commitment to follow through. AVRT or AA or SMART, or whatever you choose to use - none of them promise you sobriety through just reading their material. The work can only be carried out by you, Kza, and you alone. But that's what is so fantastic, really, because we have all we need to quit right inside us - we can make that choice, we can decide to stick to it, and we can live a life free of alcohol.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

You only need to make it stick once. So don't beat yourself up too much about it. Figure out what went wrong and fix it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza
^^ That's your AV talking! It wants you to feel like you're weak so you don't try to go without it again. Don't beat yourself up about it Kza, just try and figure out what went wrong and try again.

Sometimes really simple things can help, like not going places where you can buy alcohol... going for a walk when you would normally start drinking, contacting somebody before you drink...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
^^ That's your AV talking! It wants you to feel like you're weak so you don't try to go without it again. Don't beat yourself up about it Kza, just try and figure out what went wrong and try again.

Sometimes really simple things can help, like not going places where you can buy alcohol... going for a walk when you would normally start drinking, contacting somebody before you drink...
Sorry but do you really believe the beast stuff, great tool but it has no more empirical reality than AA's disease stuff.

I went for a two hour walk.

Anyway, slowly getting wasted and know how rough I will feel tomorrow. sorry.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

Going for a walk, sorry I know you mean well but that does not stop me.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza View Post
Sorry but do you really believe the beast stuff, great tool but it has no more empirical reality than AA's disease stuff.
I know this is meant for hypo but I thought I'd respond. I don't call it "the beast", but I do believe in the 'addictive voice,' because it makes a lot of sense to me... there were times when I didn't want to drink, but I drank anyway, because that little voice convinced me. The part of AVRT that really helped me was the teaching of ignoring rather than fighting that voice, whilst watching it disappear. I think whatever method you choose, you have to believe in it and believe it will work for you. Have you tried others?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well if you don't believe in the beast you won't be able to beat it!

Nothing can make you stop drinking Kza, that you have to do yourself. But there is lots of help to available to keep you sober if you want it.

I have noticed you always look on the negative side of everything, maybe try flipping that on it's head every now and then and try and think of some positives... try and look at your strengths rather than your weaknesses x
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tomorrow new day, try again :-)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by seanie1888 View Post
Tomorrow new day, try again :-)
For the ten thousandth time. Like the odds are in my favour.

Oh seeing I am likely to drink till 3/4 am it will be the day after. Hey I can drink till tomorrow as the day after will be day one. Let's make the most of it. I will put some music on.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza
For the ten thousandth time
I seem to remember you had quite a few sober days before now.. What was different then? What did you do to put the drink down? x
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kza

Urges got the better of me and circumstances led me to bevable to get wasted on my own.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No, I mean what helped you stay sober for all those days? When you stopped what did you do? Did you chuck alcohol out..? What stopped you from buying more the next day? x
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kza

The shame, misery, aching liver and fear of prison stopped me.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AVRT,AA, SMART, Or any of the other programs can work. But you've got to want it bad enough. Your 'beast' can be killed but you must commit 100% to its' demise.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't do any programme Kza.
I just realised drinking was untenable for me.

I knew I could do more with my life, I knew I could do more with myself. I didn't want to die, and I very nearly did.

Finding fault with various recovery programmes is all very well, but in the end no matter what programme you use or don't use, you have to want to change, you have to want to quit.

I know at least a part of you wants that Kza - noone joins up here if they don't IMO.

I stuck with drinking for a long time because the thought of sobriety scared me witless.

Whats keeping you drinking Kza?
D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-13-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

KZA you can't do anything about it today. Make a commitment to yourself not to drink tomorrow, it will be tough because the weekend is coming up. But you can do it. Take your urge to drink one minute, one hour, and one day at a time. It's hard, I personally am on day 3 after a relapse. Go to an AA meeting, it will help. I'm new to this site, but definately need the support.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Hope22

D