Notices

1 week sober and feel ill

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week sober and feel ill

Hi guys, iv managed to go aweek without drink and quite frankly i couldnt face another drink with the crap its put me through.
Since last week i have felt nothing but sick, weak, shaky, tired, jittery and having tremendous anxiety. iv gettin it everytime iv tried to stop and ended up drinking as its made me better so i could quite easily have a drink now to take the feelings away but im not doing that, im riding it out this time as i know 1 drink will take me right back to square one. im on meds to help with this but i feel like they are no help except the valium i take on anight. has anyone else ever had this when stopped drinking? i dunno how much more i can take, it feels like torture
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, there, sharp. Sounds to me like you're going through some major withdrawals. You say you feel sick, but I think your body is just trying to heal itself. Please don't take another drink. You have come a long way; 1 week sober is fantastic! Have you discussed these symptoms with your doctor?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my doctor knows. hes had me on detox twice so cant put me on it again so he gave me valium to take on a night but until i take the valium i feel terrible
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It'll get better! Keep posting. Check out our September group.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stick with it Sharp... I am sure your doctor wouldn't have let you do a home detox if he was worried. It will get better provided you don't drink... if you feel really bad do go to A&E though. Just do whatever you have to do to not drink, meetings, non stop chocolate, tea, sleep? I hope you pull through this time x
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sharp75 View Post
my doctor knows. hes had me on detox twice so cant put me on it again so he gave me valium to take on a night but until i take the valium i feel terrible
Hello sharp75:

Are you attending AA meetings? I found that putting the drink down was not my problem... my problem was trying to live sober.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Sharp!

good job on the 1 week.

I also know the feelings you speak of and for me I also would have added the extreme night sweats that would soak me through 5 complete sets of cloths a night for about 2 weeks straight.

I HATED THE SWEATING...

So that was one of the many things I used to keep away from the drink.

Waking up soaking wet cloths, hair, bed sheets ugh......

never again.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll feel better soon Sharp.

Like others have said, if you feel concerned go back to your Dr again - that's what they're there for

D
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sharp,

I Highly recommend you Call your Doctor, tell him how you are feeling, Page them if they are not available, see what he/she says.

If your Doctor is not around and you are getting worse, do not hesitate to go to a ER.
It might be nothing but it is better to err on the side of caution.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sharp, Congrats on a week and hang in there!

Detox sucks that's for sure! I am just at two weeks sober and still feel some of the affects of my body cleansing itself from all the toxins I filled it with. But I am feeling better everyday.

Drink lot's of fluid's (water especially) and rest. Water helps flush out the poison's and rest helps the body to repair. It might help to eat a little chocolate or something sweet as well. Alcohol/beer is filled with carbohydrates that our body is used to having, so when we stop the intake of those sugars, we often have a drop in blood sugar, causing similar withdrawal symptoms. (shakes, fatigue, etc.)

"This too shall pass"...You CAN do this!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The only way out is through sharp! Keep going u are through the worst!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I stopped on the 1st September and I have been feeling OK.
This morning, however, I feel so tired and not very well at all.
I sthis a common withdrawal symptom?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Sharp, I hope you are still staying stopped! It's been 2 days since you've been on SR.

We care about you!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Well91, keep staying stopped! I was very tired in early recovery, too! Our bodies are no longer being numbed by the alcohol and it's trying to heal.

Be strong and stay stopped! Tomorrow I will have 16 months of continuous sobriety and it DOES get so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well91

Yes it's normal... I'm 1 day behind you, I have energy one day fatigue the next..." this too shall pass" BTW, congrats!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sharp remember - there is NHS direct, walk in centres and A&E if you need them....don't suffer.

Keep your pecker up xxxx
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done for so well Sharp! I'm 25 days in a couple of hours. I remember the first week being so rough. You really are going through the worst of it now. The mistake I made in my first couple of weeks was putting pressure on myself, thinking 'I should feel better by now'. It's horrible to have the shakes, sickness, sleeping too litte/too much, eating too little, but honestly it will get better. I still get the odd shaky episode now because I don't eat enough.
But my advice is don't pressure yourself, be kind to yourself. If you want to sleep, sleep! If you want to eat, even if it's junk, eat! Focus on the positives. 1 week sober is amazing. Reward yourself for doing so well, keep it up, congratulations!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Call your doctor--he/she may prescribe taking another dose (even a half) of valium during the day to help you in these early days.

Best to you. I know all about anxiety and it only gets worse with drinking. Blah.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Well91, keep staying stopped! I was very tired in early recovery, too! Our bodies are no longer being numbed by the alcohol and it's trying to heal.

Be strong and stay stopped! Tomorrow I will have 16 months of continuous sobriety and it DOES get so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks sugarbear1, I have tried to stop before but I wasn't really serious about it.
You know how it is, I'd stay off it for a few weeks then hit it with a vengance when I start boozing again.
I think 6 weeks is the longest I have been dry in the past 35 years.
I suffer from depression as well and use that as an excuse to drink but I am on fluoxetine and am determined to never go back on the bottle.
I just felt so tired and unwell but today I am a little better.
Thanks again
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyFlower View Post
Well91

Yes it's normal... I'm 1 day behind you, I have energy one day fatigue the next..." this too shall pass" BTW, congrats!
Thanks SunnyFlower.