Notices

Pressure chest and head alcohol withdrawal

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pressure chest and head alcohol withdrawal

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone has any advice or knows whether I should be worried about what I think are lingering alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

I was a binge drinker off and on for 8 years. For the first 5 years I drank until I blacked out once or twice a month, but for the last three years I blacked out by drinking 8-12 beers 2 times a week. Only once or twice a couple days in a row.

I quit drinking 13 days ago when I had bad withdrawal symptoms the morning after a binge. My heart rate rose to 250 bpm and my arms and hands went numb. Then it subsided and came back intermittently. I went to the emergency room and they stopped the here rate from increasing by giving me a magnesium and potassium IV. My blood pressure was also elevated to about 140/100.

At that point I decided to never drink again. I had 3 later episodes where my hear rate sped up and slightly. It happened the 3, 5, and 10th day after I quit drinking. After 8 days, my blood pressure dropped to about 105/77 and I felt pretty normal. I has my heart checked out and they said everything was in great condition. I did stress tests, EKG's, ECG's, and I even had an EP test when I was in the hospital, and they said my hearts electrical system is perfect.

My main question is that I still have felt the last couple days that some pressure rises in my chest and goes into my head. My blood pressure spikes a bit to about 125/85 and then goes back down. Could this still be residual alcohol withdrawal that will pass over time? But, it has been 13 days. How long could I feel effects from alcohol. Could this just be anxiety.

I am terrified at what I could have done to my body, and after my last withdrawal symptoms I have vowed to never drink again.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi econAA - welcome

Could this still be residual alcohol withdrawal that will pass over time? But, it has been 13 days. How long could I feel effects from alcohol. Could this just be anxiety.
those are questions you really need to ask a Dr.
It might be anxiety, it might not.

None of us are Doctors.
By our rules we simply can't give you medical advice here

If you're concerned go get checked again....even if there proves to be nothing wrong at least you know...and nothing's more important than your health.

D
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I still have bouts of anxiety where my heart rate jumps up, not many though. Your blood pressure does not look very high to me (but that depends on the person). My BP was up in the 165\105 range before I quit drinking and I was experiencing heart palpitations daily (glad those are gone). Meditation maybe help ease your mind, as it did mine in the early weeks\months.
Good Luck.