Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here. Looking for help... support... not sure how to ask for it.

I go through a bottle on wine a day or more... to deal with stress and anxiety. and I don't know how to stop. 2 years of therapy hasn't done me any good either.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. Welcome to the site.

It's good that you are trying to stop and you know you've got a problem. That took me a while. I don't really know what to suggest as I am new here myself but this site is very friendly, lots of people willing to help.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Miss,
Everyone here knows what you are going through. I self-medicated with a fifth of vodka every night until I hit rock-bottom. Drinking makes things much worse and amplifies any anxiety or stress you already had. This place is great for support! Welcome!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eponine

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

Joining our current monthly thread might be a good start - you'll find a lot of people at the same point of getting sober as yourself

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-18.html

I think it's also a good idea to see a Dr before you quit.
Not everyone has a bad detox, but it makes sense to be careful, I think

Are you open to the idea of recovery groups like AA etc as well?
You find a lot of info on various methods here too

good to have you join us!

D
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome MissE. Join us in the September class, too. Martin is right - many good people here. We all want the same thing. And being here is a step in the right direction.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome Eponine! part of starting on the road to recovery is realizing that that bottle of wine is helping you to cope with stress. coping with stress involves actually dealing with the problems and either coming up with solutions, learning to let go of what you cannot change or coming to something that gives you peace about the situation. what you're doing is shoving your emotions down deep inside you and dulling them with wine. when you start to feel them again you just dull them down and repeat the cycle.

when you quit and after the physical symptoms have eased up you're going to have to deal with the emotions that you've been repressing all these years. perhaps part of the reason your therapy hasn't been working is because you've been dulling your emotions with wine. have you really given yourself a chance with your therapist? just try stopping and be prepared to be uncomfortable. the good news is it doesn't last forever. really, it gets better pretty quickly! and once you're over that hump you won't believe what it's like on the other side. also, once you're on the other side, you're there baby! the sky's the limit! you're there for as long as you want to be there and it gets better, easier, more routine, more your habit. you're worth the effort. start working it a day at a time. an hour at a time. you've always got a sober day in you, a sober hour. come here and read, post, chat but come here first. we'll be here. it's great to have you on board.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a fantastic place for help and support - you've come to the right place. Read around lots, post lots, help others lots, and it really does do wonders, honestly.

There are many methods available to help you to stop if you feel as though you cannot do it without a sort of programme. Lots of people use AA, me and many others here use AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique) and also we have some SMART advocates here, too. If you want to quit using AA, there's a 12 step forum on this board, and also there's a secular connections forum for those of us who don't use AA. There are so many routes to take, please read around and choose which fits for you or take from all of them, if you'd like.

You CAN stop, and you can stop NOW if you want to. Being sober may not be easy but it is simple enough to achieve... you just have to stop drinking. Believe in yourself
Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, I can so relate. I have horrible anxiety and meds and such haven't helped me. You're not alone. But maybe together we can do it! It's good to know others can relate.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear MissEponine,

I must be the Queen of Anxiety, well....I used to be.

Panic attacks galore happening randomly, where I thought I was literally dying. I had never had anything like it before, and I just couldn't understand> I was superwoman after all... working 7 days a week working for a workaholic who would call me from his shower at 4am saying he would pick me up in 20 minutes as something major was going on zzzzzzz - I lived on the run, never ate properly, lived off restaurant food - my fridge was always empty. I burnt out basically.

I was living alone in a small flat once I had to give up my job. It took me a year to leave my boss, he made me feel so guilty for leaving him - it was worse than a bad marriage (I think ;>)

Anyway, I ended up suicidal, couldn't take care of myself at all. Started therapy, didn't work first time....tried another therapist and bingo, I started to get better. I never thought I would.

I did, and you will too. You are in good hands here with amazing people to help you.

Take carex
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissEponine View Post
New here. Looking for help... support... not sure how to ask for it.

I go through a bottle on wine a day or more... to deal with stress and anxiety. and I don't know how to stop. 2 years of therapy hasn't done me any good either.
Welcome to SR MissEponine

I think the thing that helped me stop was the realisation that it didn't matter what else I did, nothing was going to stop me drinking other than stopping drinking... Sounds stupid I know but I really thought that if I just changed x, y and z then I would naturally want to drink less or just magically stop.

I had horrible anxiety too but that pretty much all went away when I stopped drinking, I hope it does for you too x
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're happy you joined us! This is a wonderful place - and the people here helped me get sober after a lifetime of drinking.

I found out that I'd been making myself even more anxious and upset by drinking. It seemed like an answer, but it kept me in my own little world of misery. You can make your way out of the fog - we are here for you.