rehab

Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

rehab

My husband started outpatient rehab for opiate abuse. He has been 3times...initial appt where he did paperwork, peed in a cup and spoke to a counselor. 2nd appt was group and 3rd he just met with a nurse who is sending him to his primary care dr for a shot of vivitrol. He says he feels like he doesn't belong there. Maybe it's not the right facility or maybe it's his resistance to go (although he says he will). He says that "they don't want me there b/c I drink beer". It's a totally clean place he says...even if alcohol isn't his problem. Is this true? Makes no sense to me that they would want him out due to drinking a few beers every now and then. He says people in group were admitting to using heroin the day prior. I know addicts makes excuses but he says he doesn't need to be there and will get the shot and I can drug test him at home whenever I want. I just purchased 50 strip tests.
I'm not nieve. People in rehab are addicts and struggling to get clean. They aren't gonna refuse people help or kick them out for not agreeing to be free of everything...right?!!! He is going voluntarily. But he feels like b/c they frown upon him having beer that he is being "too honest" and they are negative about it. ANy advice? Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many addicts are cross-addicted to alcohol. Even if they are not cross-addicted when they stop using heroin there is a risk of them substituting one addiction for the other. The program's policy is based on their experience in treating addicts. If your husband is not willing to give up his "few beers" while in the program, it may be confirmation that he "needs" them more than he's saying.

If he does not continue with the program, his doctor may not give him the Vivitrol shot - it is usually prescribed in addition to a program.

But that's about him...how are YOU doing?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a mood-altering psychoactive drug, and once a person had developed an addictive personality, there is a high likelihood of cross-addiction - that is, switching the attachment from the DOC to another mood-altering substance. That is why most rehab facilities frown on an addict imbibing in any psychoactive substance. Moreover, many addicts find that indulging in another substance - like alcohol or weed - weakens their resistance to their DOC. When they're high on weed or drunk, they are that much more likely to think that "just one more time" with their DOC is a good idea.

Addiction is tough to beat under any circumstance; opiate addiction, though, is one of the toughest. The relapse rates are highest for alcohol and opiates, and the long-term recovery rate for opiate addiction is in the 10% range. Your husband might think he's special - that he's not like all these other addicts, that he's too smart, accomplished, mature, whatever, and that therefore, he doesn't have to do what all these other addicts do. He can drink alcohol and be fine. He can just get his Vivitrol shot and not deal with all the "recovery community," NA stuff. FYI, that is a recipe for disaster. He will most likely soon find out that he's not so special. I can't tell you how many addicts want to carve themselves out from the pack, thinking that they are unique - they are convinced that they aren't the "hard core" addict and therefore don't need to follow the approach that the experts tell them is necessary. This kind of thinking is the NORM among addicts - at first. And then, after multiple relapses, they might realize that they are no different from any other addict. Addiction is addiction, and it is the same no matter your intelligence level, socioeconomic status, age, race, gender, the car you drive, etc., etc. It doesn't discriminate.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I did an outpatient program, we were screened for all drugs and alcohol 3 times a week. They had a "3 strikes" policy.
Their reasoning was that they wanted us to get completely sober for awhile, to help us take a step back and look at our habits and also to clear our heads, so to speak. I thought it made a lot of sense and I'm glad they did it that way.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

broken77, my bf recently began an out-patient program as well. He's addicted to heroin. He went to a 60 day residential rehab, and has been going to the out-patient program for 4 days now. Personally, I think it's a bit too soon for your husband to know if it's really the right place for him or not. My bf feels really uncomfortable in his program, but he doesn't know any of the people there yet. It's hard to open up, especially about this stuff, to people you just met. I think whether it's always on purpose or not, there usually is some sort of resistance to programs like this, especially for opiate addicts new to recovery. To me, it sounds like your husband might be trying to make excuses to not go. It's going to be hard, especially when they're telling you things you should and should not do. They're already having a hard enough time staying off their DOC, let alone now being told they shouldn't even drink. Even if it's for the best, who has an easy time being told not to do things they enjoy? The program my boyfriend is in also discourages the use of any sort of substance, even if it's just one drink, weed, etc. Everyone I've talked to who has been to any type of rehab for drug use has been told to not drink or use other substances. I don't think any good program is going to kick someone out because they admit they had a few drinks or even if they admit to getting drunk. I highly doubt they don't want him there. Sounds like he just doesn't really want to follow the advice, and maybe doesn't want to deal with that they have to say when he admits that he has had a few drinks. I doubt they're mean about it, but it's not like they're going to say, "okay, that's fine."
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kyles View Post
I don't think any good program is going to kick someone out because they admit they had a few drinks or even if they admit to getting drunk."
Every program has it's own policy, but two I'm acquainted with do expel you from the program if you use a prohibited substance. This is for the good of the group as a whole.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SundaysChild View Post
Every program has it's own policy, but two I'm acquainted with do expel you from the program if you use a prohibited substance. This is for the good of the group as a whole.
Oh, sorry. I'm not an expert, obviously. They'll expell them even if they find out they had 1 or 2 drinks? Even if it's a program strictly for heroin use, for example? I don't know what the exact rules are for the program my bf is in, but he says they just discourage it, it's not strictly prohibited. To completely follow their program to a T, you wouldn't drink or use any substances, of course. He drank the other night, but I'm sure he didn't tell anyone in the program the next day!