Need a second opinion...please

Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a second opinion...please

My dad has myasthenia gravis. He just went to the doctor, who told him what he has is life threatening. He has to get a brain MRI and chest CT next week. He is currently on my mom's insurance plan, he tried to talk to her about it, she said his insurance wasn't her responsibility (which it isn't) and that he has to get his own insurance. He can't get new insurance because of his pre-existing condition. If he doesn't get treatment he won't be able to breathe as the disease progresses and will suffocate to death, or choke. At least that's what he tells me.

Now...for the sole purpose of me being able to sleep at night again...is there any possible way he can get new insurance, even with his pre-existing condition, or is he pretty much screwed and destined to die?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not an expert, but as long as he has had continuous coverage, getting a new insurance shouldn't be all that difficult. I have a good friend who has a recurring incurable (but not terminal) cancer, and she has changed insurance companies three times -- the trick is to never let it lapse.

I think this is another attempt at manipulation from your father. But I could be wrong.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I think this is another attempt at manipulation from your father. But I could be wrong.
No, you're right.

He also laments about "I have a serious disease and mom won't even acknowledge I exist."
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Choublak,
Forgive me for not knowing all of the backstory - but you said that your father is currently on your mother's insurance plan. Are they separating? Has one filed for divorce? If yes, I think there is usually some sort of legal "hold" or "stay" that prohibits a spouse from unenrolling someone from their insurance during divorce proceedings.
I may be missing something and thus my contribution might not be helpful.
MamaKit
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think they're separated...my mom served my dad with divorce papers about a year ago (?) I think. If there is a legal hold, I don't know why my mom is telling my dad he has to get his own insurance plan...then again, HE went and asked her not to take him off his insurance plan, even though my mom had a restraining order against him, he took that chance and apparently nothing happened with regards to the restraining order. So, maybe my mom is telling him this just to toy with him. I don't know.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yikes. I'm no lawyer, but I've always understood that a person can't just be booted off an insurance plan without quite a bit of legal work, and a spouse is usually required to keep the other one on the plan until all of the legal proceedings are finalized. It sounds like she's wanting to be rid of dealing with him and either is lying to him or really has no idea how it all works. That said, I believe insurance companies are no longer able to refuse coverage due to pre-existing conditions since the recent health care changes.

Sounds like a nasty situation to be in the middle of. Sorry you have to deal with this.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, he is not destined to die, alone, on a sidewalk in a cardboard box, because of lack of access to health care. I think like others here that he is manipulating you.

If you are in the US, he can go into a Medicaid spend down and get on that program. If he is over 65 he has access to Medicare. With health reform remaining in place, he has other options for health insurance, but that varies by state. There are programs for high risk individuals that are state funded - they offer discounted levels of insurance coverage. And lastly, non-profit and religious-based hospitals offer their own programs based on need. It will require some checking into, but you should be able to hunt down all of this online.

Sounds like your Mom is done...and she may not believe him anyway.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your parents are not divorced he should be able to stay on her plan. that is the sole reason many couples separate but don't divorce, so one can stay on the others plan. also many states have high risk plans for people that are turned down by traditional insurance. My AH who hadn't worked for years is not yet eligible for Medicare but after we moved to North Carolina when I retired 2 years ago he was able to stay on my plan for 18 months under the COBRA provision. When that expired he was not able to get traditional insurance Due to preexisting conditions but got on a high risk plan through the state. I got my own traditional plan since I am healthy and he is not. the high risk plans cost more but at least you are insured. now we are in middle of a divorce but as we now each have our own separate plans the divorce will not affect the insurance coverage. check if your state has a high risk plan BUT in NC when we investigated, he was only eligible after the COBRA ran out. If he is eligible to be on your Moms plan then he may not be eligible for the high risk plan. He will need to do his homework but likely he has options if he is not of Medicare age yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well my mom can't wait to be divorced from him, I do know that.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If he is currently on your mom's plan - that plan pays. The billing departments will know all about how to make that happen.

If he is about to get kicked off that plan then he'd better start looking for another insurance. Does he work and if he does do they have a group insurance plan? With no lapse I believe a group plan is obligated to enroll him with no riders. He'd be smart to get on that plan anyway just for the double coverage if he'll have lots of future medical expenses.

No need for you to be involved at all. No need for him to contact your mother.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

It depends on the terms of the separation agreement as to how long she is obligated to keep him on her insurance. He can't just go and get on a pre-existing plan under health reform. You have to be uninsured for SIX MONTHS to qualify for one of the pools. Trust me, I know first hand about that BS. He needs to be sure about the terms of his current insurance coverage through your mother. If he's not currently covered, then he needs the certificate of continuous coverage, and a visit with the doc's office or a patient advocate to help him sort through his options.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If he is currently on your mom's plan - that plan pays. The billing departments will know all about how to make that happen.

If he is about to get kicked off that plan then he'd better start looking for another insurance. Does he work and if he does do they have a group insurance plan? With no lapse I believe a group plan is obligated to enroll him with no riders. He'd be smart to get on that plan anyway just for the double coverage if he'll have lots of future medical expenses.

No need for you to be involved at all. No need for him to contact your mother.
He owns his own small business.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I thought we now allow pre-existing conditions for insurance. what did I miss?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I thought we now allow pre-existing conditions for insurance. what did I miss?
That part doesn't go into full effect until 2014 (I have Crohn's Disease. I've been all over this from the start.). In the meantime, insurance companies still have a lot of leeway in how they handle pre-existing conditions. The Pre-E pools were supposed to be this fabulous option, but not when you can't afford to go six months without coverage just to be accepted. For many of us, six months is the difference between life and death when it comes to medical treatment. Insurance companies will still have ways to screw us over, unfortunately. They can't deny us coverage, but I think they can still deny meds or treatments by declaring them "not medically necessary." The drug I *need* to stay alive isn't considered medically necessary by any insurance company other than Tricare, which I am now fortunate enough to have (insurance provided by the Navy through my spouse). I'm pretty sure they still have the freedom to jack up the rates on people with pre-existing conditions, but that's a little bit more of a gray area at the moment.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I got divorced, my HR person told me my ex-husband had to go off of my insurance the very day the divorce was final; it was non-negotiable. He had the option of enrolling in a COBRA plan but it had nothing to do with me. I realize this might not be the case for every employer or in every state, but if it is generally true, then your father could be looking at a hard deadline for losing his insurance.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi - live in the UK so not an issue for me.

But I'm imagining that there are lots of people in the US who are professional advisers that your dad could ask this question of if he wanted to?

or he could moan to you, about your mom, and you could worry and ask a bunch of non-professionals who have neither the experience or the information about his particular circumstances on an internet forum.

have you worried about him before?
has it all turned out fine somehow............?

I love the serenity prayer in these situations.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
and you could worry and ask a bunch of non-professionals who have neither the experience or the information about his particular circumstances on an internet forum.
I personally find doing so to be more helpful than the serenity prayer, so yeah, it's what I do.

Unlike in the UK and Europe, professionals over here are not free and one must pay just to breathe the air in their office.

Your response irritated me. Sorry. Maybe I took it the wrong way?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
Hi - live in the UK so not an issue for me.

But I'm imagining that there are lots of people in the US who are professional advisers that your dad could ask this question of if he wanted to?

or he could moan to you, about your mom, and you could worry and ask a bunch of non-professionals who have neither the experience or the information about his particular circumstances on an internet forum.

have you worried about him before?
has it all turned out fine somehow............?

I love the serenity prayer in these situations.
BTW, my father is not an alcoholic, he's just a narcissist who just now got this condition he may or may not need surgery for. I'm not trying to "save" him, but he is my father and I do care if he dies or not.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ok. I am an insurance lady. lol
The pre-existing clause on the new Obama care does in fact allow for pre-existing conditions. HOWEVER, the majority of the bill is not in effect yet. I believe I heard 8/2013 for the full bill to be in effect, assuming we still have the same president.

You might try a state pool for his insurance. He will need a denial letter from a compay and then he can apply. Just google it online. Most states have a risk sharing pool. It's expensive, but it's insurance.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe it has been moved to 2014 now. I can't keep up. We get almost daily memos