Notices

Trying again

Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

Hi all.

Some of you might remember me from a couple previous stints on SR, one about 8 months, and one not so long.

I'm now trying for a third time to get sober.

Because I've been around the recovery block a couple times, I know that the next question a lot of you will ask me is what I'm planning to do differently this time. Right now, my answer is that I am going to my first ever AA meeting tomorrow morning before work. Maybe it will help me and maybe it won't, but obviously trying to do it on my own hasn't worked, so I'm going to try it this way.

I'm glad to have made it back.

SBTS
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey welcome back STBS!
good to have you back

D
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome back!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you. I tried many times to stop, but I finally got it right. You can do this.

AA might be the answer you're looking for this time around. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well soberbythesea i went 28 days with hubby and drank lastnight and tonight. i blame me. i blame hubby because he works at a liqour store. I will be starting over tomorrow. I feel your pain.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jules

AA has helped me. My suggestion would be to keep an open mind, there are all kinds of meetings and you just have to find your niche. There are other options though so if AA isn't for you that isn't an end-all.

It's taken me sometime to accept the disease and want to stay sober as well. Its a journey. Just keep coming back. There are all kinds of people out there who are in the same boat and want just what you want, a sober and happy life.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome back, love your screen name!

They say third time's the charm right? Good luck at your meeting tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Because I've been around the recovery block a couple times, I know that the next question a lot of you will ask me is what I'm planning to do differently this time. Right now, my answer is that I am going to my first ever AA meeting tomorrow morning before work. Maybe it will help me and maybe it won't, but obviously trying to do it on my own hasn't worked, so I'm going to try it this way.
Good for you for going to a meeting...It's a great way to start the day. You hear people say to just quit on your own....A lot of people can't do that...I was one of them. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe that's why AA has helped so many stay sober for so long...And can be found all around the world. It worked for this hopeless alcoholic...It can work for you too. Try the meeting a couple times...Just listen....Talk to some people before or after....You'll meet some great people.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back and best wishes, SBTS!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone for all the encouragement. I went to my meeting today. It's hard to say yet if AA is for me. I'm not sure how I feel about all the spirituality stuff. But I did want to check in and let everyone know that I went, and that I'm still on the wagon. Today is day 4 (was day 4, really, since I'm about to go to sleep soon.)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did you go to the meeting today soberbythesea?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back. On my 3rd go-around as well. 9 months then 3 months. Now about 6 or 7 weeks under my belt. Let's make it stick this time. I am thankful for my third chance but don't want to "push my luck". Ready to be sober the rest of my life. Wishing you the same.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

WB! I had issues with that aspect of AA too at first. I then found another meeting group that was more secular and they, along with here on SR, helped me get to the two year mark. I did stop using AA after three months but still stop by and let them know I am doing fine. In other words it doesn't have to be forever for some, and is for others. Different strokes, for different folks right? Take what you can use and leave the rest.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are back SBTS
Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back

Glad you're trying new things this time - I hope it works for you

Wishing you all the best x
Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad you checked it out soberbythesea....Don't get caught up in the spirituality of it...I hope you'll try a few meetings and talk with some of the people there. This is from a good site on AA meetings if you have any other questions....Congrats on 4 days...I'd love to see you make it this time.

God, Religion and Spirituality

Although it is an undeniable historical fact that AA had its origins in the so-called "Oxford Group" movement which emphasized a return to the presumed basic teachings of Christ, it is an equally undeniable historical fact that AA itself only began when its founders split off from the Oxford Group movement. Thus although the Christian religious influence is omnipresent in AA doctrine and practice, AA itself is by no means a Christian or even a religious organization – a fact that has caused and continues to cause a great deal of confusion in the minds of those unfamiliar with AA.

The newcomer only really needs to know that there is no religious requirement for AA attendance and that he is free to believe whatever he chooses to believe. There are many agnostics and atheists in AA, as well as many members of established churches and organized religions, Christian and otherwise. The Third Tradition of AA states that "The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking." Nothing is said about religion – or about any other requirement.

What then about all the talk of God and even the Lord's Prayer that is said at many –not all- AA meetings? The basic idea is to attempt to relate to some kind of "power greater than oneself." The reason for this "Higher Power" is to acquire a sense of perspective and also support. Many people say that they use the AA group or AA as a whole in this fashion. The Eleventh Step speaks of "God as we understand Him," a qualification that leaves ample room for personal preferences. AA members are free to believe anything they like about God, up to and including his non-existence.

It is commonly said that AA is "spiritual, not religious." The goal is direct personal spiritual growth without what many see as the unnecessary and even harmful middleman and encumbrances of organized religion. In this respect AA reveals its Protestant roots and dislike of the trappings and hierarchy of organized religion.

Many people familiar with the challenges facing newcomers to AA suggest that the whole topic of God, religion and spirituality be reserved for a later and more suitable time in recovery. Excessive attention to and analysis of this or any other abstract subject early on is seldom useful and may in fact frequently prove harmful to recovery. Such theoretical or philosophical ruminations and pseudo-concerns early in recovery from alcoholism are often manifestations of the addictive process itself, or of the afflicted individual's alienation from his own core self and feelings into an over-intellectualized state where he feels comfortable and safe.

The important thing is to "keep coming back" to meetings and to have as open a mind as possible.

Source...

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you've come back. I too have tried before and failed. Now I'm here for good.

Falling down isn't failing, staying down is failing.

You'll do it this time.

Gxx
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happier View Post
Welcome back. On my 3rd go-around as well. 9 months then 3 months. Now about 6 or 7 weeks under my belt. Let's make it stick this time. I am thankful for my third chance but don't want to "push my luck". Ready to be sober the rest of my life. Wishing you the same.
Sounds a lot like me. I had 8 months the first time and the second time I only made it a couple of weeks. Day 5 now... agreed, let's make it stick.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just keep on and count those days and when you know a wobble is close remember how you want that next day.
Let's get a week then 10 then a second weekend then sail.
Stay on here it was the best help for me.
John.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow! Day 15! Last night I gave myself permission to drink a beer at a concert if I felt like it by the time I got there (I didn't), then on the next round (I didn't). Stayed sober and had fun during a 4 hour rock concert!!!!! I NEVER would have thought that was possible. I am feelinf physically and mentally better and better everyday. Strongest cravings this week were when I was shopping alone. That's strange. Not a bad thing to avoid though I suppose! Hope everyone else in class is holding on strong. If not, get right back up.