Notices

The Modern World

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

The Modern World

What is it about the modern world that has led many people into addictions?

I've been contemplating this for a while, but haven't really had the chance to enter into a discussion about it.

My mother, and her parents, often echo the phrase "we never had the time to drink". My mother grew up in an inner city slum in the 50s and 60s (she turned 60 in August), and repeats the same stories of how she used to make her half-pint of bitter last all night because drinking any more simply wasn't an option.

Of course, to me, nursing a half-pint is an impossible task.

My grandparents (one deceased, one approaching 88), NEVER drank, except perhaps a sherry on special occasions. When they entered retirement, the drinking became more frequent (perhaps a glass of wine every week).

Now i'm not naive enough to say "there were no drinking problems before my time", as this simply isn't true - drinking problems have been documented far back into history. I DO however feel that they have become much more prolific in recent years.

I'm just wondering what people think about this - is it true? Has the modern age brought with it a whole new wave of addictions? The issues that I believe may support this theory are:

- Increased access to substances (cheap alcohol, prescriptions, the internet)
- Overpopulation leading to less stringent drug policing
- Lifestyles that allow for excessive indulgence
- Overwhelming social and media pressure to drink/use drugs in order to fit in
- A more accepting/understanding approach to addiction by health professionals

However, there are also reasons why it may not be true:

- Previous generations having a much more private approach; any problems are more likely to have been kept secret
- A lack of successful recovery programs
- A lack of awareness of the problem; no real definition of what constitutes a problem
- Working class men maintaining jobs whilst drinking heavily, thus making it 'normal'

Apologies if this isn't in the correct forum, but I thought it was good basis for discussion. I look forward to any replies!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

In this day and age the US culture thrives on knowing to much about everyone. In the day they were a lot more private.

And Hollywood made it fashionable to go to rehab.

We here on SR know there is nothing glamorous about it.

So I don't think times have made more of us....Just a More visible us.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know... when I think about the past all I can think of is opium dens and London gin and people drinking beer because it's safer than the water... I think that may just be remnants from reading books on Jack the Ripper though Oh, and poets and artists taking Laudanum.. maybe it was just as fashionable then? x
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Since man first crushed grapes, those of us who have a propensity for alcohol always found a time to drink. This is why most alcoholics aren't those wearing a dirty trench coat and sipping from a paper wrapped bottle. Know what I mean?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I remember my grandparents talking about living through the Great Depression and World War II and how there just wasn't an abundance of booze around. The had rations for whiskey and rum. But it was not something people openly indulged in. I think it may have to do with post-war prosperity and acceptance in society. It was immoral to drink alcohol in the eyes of many, especially since religion played a much bigger role back then.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with the same as it ever was crowd...read some stuff about 18th century London - people lying drunk in the streets....

D
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why go only as far back as the 18th/19th century?

The saga of Egill Skallagrimsson makes much of Egill's beer- and mead-chugging prowess, as well as his (and not only his) propensity towards violence and vomiting when drunk.

The Histories of Herodotus tell of an Egyptian king who spent his youth drinking beer and stealing when he was low on money for beer. In fact, Herodotus always dwelled upon each culture's favorite intoxicant.

And, of course, the Bible includes such charming passages as Noah getting drunk, stripping and passing out... or the story about Lot, his two daughters, wine and the most awkward morning after ever.

I do believe modern man's more advanced skill at making drugs and higher disposable income can make matters worse, but men have loved to get messed up since the dawn of time...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

God is being pushed out.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why go only as far back as the 18th/19th century?
Cos the thread was entitled The Modern World...

You;re right tho SG - 'tis as old as time

D