Notices

Kids And Pets

Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kids And Pets

If you are here, new, and have kids or pets, tell me how they inspire you, what you want to enjoy with them when you sober up, and the things you won't miss once you quit.

For me, I know I am not a mean drunk or anything, but I feel like I get lazy. I want to train my new show puppy! And be able to drive to shows...

I want to not go to bed at such an early hour, so I can spend more time with my son! I want him, a toddler, not to remember me with a beer can in hand. I want to be more fun!!! I drink to kill anxiety, so in a way I am more playful when I hae a few in me. But I want to get healthy so I can be fun sober. I don't want to be the drunk mom.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and I want to go back to Hitting the dog park every day!!!! And being thin like my Greyhounds!!!! And I want my son to have a mom he can be proud of. I woke up sober today and went to the park. What a great feeling. We had so much fun! I did fail after that, but a small fail, and I get back on the horse.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is going to sound silly, but I have 5 pet chickens and they are the most hilarious pets EVER! I love to go outside when I come home from work and watch them come running up to me clucking, wanting their afternoon treat! I enjoy spending time with them and observing their antics. What I will NOT miss from my drinking days is not wanting to play with them or fix them special meals simply because I was too damn drunk to care. :-\
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Zee

<---------- I could squidge her 24/7! She got me through alot!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zeee, so cute, what's her name? How old?

P, I had a chicken as a kid, trixie! I loved her!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

Her name is Cookie... she is 3. She is my little angel with big ears and I love her dearly I was in hospital for a month a year ago (detox, liver disease, malnutrition.. blah blah)... I only cried once, it was because I missed her! She watching me now, haha!

My friend had chickens, they are great aren't they! Such characters!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Earth Child

there is my cats if i wasn't sober i wouldn't have the money to look after them
as all my money would go on booze and not them
also i think the cats can tell when am on something they usually stay away from me when am on something or have drank
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cookie is a super cutie. And yes, the drink will take all our money, and it sure sucks to think what we could have spent on our kids or pets! I would miss my dogs to death if I was gone a month!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I woke up sober this morning, and wasn't it great to make my son breakfast! And to play with the dogs. And not feel like puking. An inspiration for sure!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to be sober for my kids. I am a single parent with two boys, 16 & 13. They are amazing boys. I love spending time with them when I am sober and feeling good physically and mentally. I don't want them to have to see me drunk at night or have them tell me what I did that I can't remember. They deserve so much more. They hate it when I drink and I want them to be proud of me. Plus, I don't want to model this behavior any more. I feel guilty but I will make it up to them.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes you will! And they will remember and be so grateful.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today my 15 year old dog, who is my best friend and heart dog I have had since I was a teen, now in my 30s, came and snuggled. Such a reminder that I don't want to waste his last days drunk!!! Whether sits two days it two years, I want to experience his time left with a clear head. My toddler son wants to play a game. Sober, I can do it. Teach him to build blocks. Count with him. Isnt it great?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love chickens! They have great personalities!

I don't have kids but I have two furry children, my Rottweilers Bonnie and Blossom, both adopted. Bonnie was my very first spay surgery i ever did, in vet school. I love them with all my heart and I want to be sober for them, to give them the life they deserve. They've always gotten great care and lots of attention, but things like walks and hikes and playing in the river were definitely diminishing from being tired, drunk, hung over.... It's not fair to them. Yesterday we went for a good long walk and we all felt great about it. My new routine is work, home to walk dogs,mthen AA. I feel bad leaving them for the evening to go to a meeting, but their life will improve with me sober.
I also have a bunny (had two but had to put one to sleep last year). And I have a betta fish who has a nice big fish tank to live in. Gotta love the healing power of pets!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree! Pets are Great!!!! They inspire. Sunshine, do you have a good cheap flea suggestion? I work in a kennel. Comfortis is all that works down South on my dogs at home. Can't afford it for sixty kennel dogs. Frontline isn't working. Leas still bad. Ideas?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

We got a kitten when I was three months sober.

My wish for her - never to have to see her Mom drunk

I have two dogs and the guilt I felt if I only gave them a short walk was immense. They were always by my side watching over me and giving me their unconditional lover no matter what.
Now we have beach walks nearly every day and never does a day go by with out at least a stroll in the fresh air.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I too am delighted to be walking again! The dogs need and love it.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Zee

Its raining here today. Cookie hates the rain. Its always a stress for her to decide whether its worth it... ie. the excitement of the walk verses the getting wet part. She normally runs out, does a big U-turn and runs back in... wiping herself dry on all the furniture!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is my Shih Tzu....Pabu. He'd throw me out of the house if I picked up.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cookie is so funny! My dogs hate rain too!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I M sober and snuggling with my teenaged dog. Playing with my son onmy iPad, silly games. A beautiful thing! Simple yet grand.