Notices

Is this really Anonymous?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this really Anonymous?

I spent a year going to AA meetings and met some great people and some really sick people as well. I got a sponsor went through the twelve steps and attended a meeting everyday. I clearly noticed that there was nothing anonymous about AA. I felt like I was a sixteen year old in HS listening to people constantly chat about who's back out, who's did this to who, who's dating who, so on and so forth. I dated a girl in the program and she would consistently point out people on the street who used to be in AA or who is in AA. I've tried very hard to keep my AA membership Anonymous...but it seems awful hard with all the high school chatter, I had dropped my sponsor and now attend maybe one a AA meeting a week in places that I won't bump into the Assholes in it. Has anyone had the same experiences when the word Anonymous comes about?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anonymity in Alcoholics Anonymous is at the level of press, radio, and film. I urge you to read about the 12 Traditions in the book The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. What is a problem in AA and everywhere else is gossip.. We can only hope that these people will eventually grow up and stop that practice.

I suggest you discuss this with your sponsor.