Notices

Hey Guys.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DBW

Hey Guys.

I am an alcoholic. I started heavily drinking in may of 2010, after having some minor respiratory issues at the advice of a former neighbor. It cleared the fluid out of my lungs, and allowed me to sleep through the night. I've pretty much been drinking everyday since, and have dragged my wife into it as well. While she doesn't drink the same volume that I do, or drink the same type of alcohol it's turned into a daily habit for her as well. In the past two years I've managed to put on about 50 pounds, and I feel like complete crap. I've said before that I was going to stop, and that lasted about 2 days at the most then it's right back to business as usual. I'm 30 years old, and I have to nip this in the butt or it's going to bite me in the ass. I have to motivate myself to leave my place of comfort (The couch), and turn myself into a more productive individual for not only myself, but my family. I hope that I can stay vigilant, put aside any embarrassment that I may have in confiding in strangers, be honest and maybe just maybe I can get through this, and back on track.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR DBW

Glad you've made the decision to quit. You'll find lots of ideas and support here x
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You've come to a good place for help and advice on quitting drinking. It takes some effort and time to heal and get back to normal but it's so worth the effort. I've been sober over two years now and am enjoying my life instead of dreading it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

Your right you have to do something now... This disease is a progressive one and it will get a hold of you and your wife. And before you know what happened you can be in the depths of torture..

AA saved this life long heavy drinker.. I hope you and your wife will consider it.. You guys came be a team in recovery..

Best wishes and keep coming on here and reading and posting..
Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DBW

Thank you guys for the support and kind words, it really means a lot. Today is day one...the journey has begun.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it never doubt that!

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DBW View Post
Thank you guys for the support and kind words, it really means a lot. Today is day one...the journey has begun.
Hey! I'm in my early thirties, just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. I'm sober 100+ days, and lost 15 lbs! Plus, my face definitely thinned out and I look a lot better and sleep better. The benefits keep coming. You can do this! I read a lot of addiction memoirs and articles to help me on those first few days when you feel emotionally raw. TheFix.com is great, and lots of good books on Amazon or local library. Welcome!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR DBW - Lots of kind words in SR - lots of support in SR - ... and lots of extremely excellent advice.

If you take it - you'll make it.

AA - AVRT - SMART - OTHERs? - all good programs and all requiring absolute acceptance of the individual processes that lead to a sober life.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here DBW
Any ideas on how you might proceed from here?

D
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DBW

Well guys a little update from day one. The entire day was great, I was clear, and focused. Haha...very restless and energized. The only problem was when it came to bedtime. I got maybe 3.5 hours of continuous sleep, the other 4 hours or so I was tossing and turning. My mind was racing. I was a little late to work, but no one noticed so no big deal. I'm working on day 2 with confidence...I can do this.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DBW

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some great advice here DBW
Any ideas on how you might proceed from here?

D
I don't know...I'm going to take it one day at a time. I'm doing some negotiating with myself which is a bad thing, but i'm going to phase it out, focus on my work, and get into the habit of telling myself no. There are things in my life that I need, and alcohol isn't one of them.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DBW

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Welcome

Your right you have to do something now... This disease is a progressive one and it will get a hold of you and your wife. And before you know what happened you can be in the depths of torture..

AA saved this life long heavy drinker.. I hope you and your wife will consider it.. You guys came be a team in recovery..

Best wishes and keep coming on here and reading and posting..
I don't know if I'm ready for AA yet. It just seems so taboo, if that makes any sense?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DBW

Oh...and I ate like a normal human being last night which was a first in a while. Not having drunk munchies sure does a lot for the waistline.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know if I'm ready for AA yet. It just seems so taboo, if that makes any sense?
I had a lot of reasons for putting off AA...I think it all came down to fear for me....Fear I'd have to admit I was beaten by alcohol...Fear it wouldn't work...Fear it would work and how could I live without it...I had all kinds of reasons.....I should have listened to my ex wife 10 years ago....It would have saved me a lot of misery.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DBW

So I decided to look up AA in my area. Turns out there are meeting at the church at the end of my block. I guess there are no such things as coincidence in this life.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Turns out there are meeting at the church at the end of my block. I guess there are no such things as coincidence in this life.
Sounds like it's meant to be...It sure won't hurt you!