Notices

Here we go

Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go

Hi all

Thought I would introduce myself as I think I'm going to be spending quite some time on these forums!

For the past decade I have seen my drinking spiral out of control. I have never been able to stop at 'just one' and it's often landed me in stupid, embarrassing or sometimes dangerous situations.

I've nearly always kept it hidden (or what I think is hidden...), drinking on the sly on my own. On my days off it starts before lunch time, on work days it starts the moment I close my shop for the day but whenever it starts it only finishes until I pass out.

I seem to have formed this horrible habit of associating drinking with so many different events - everyday occurences. It's hard to explain... but the first thing I think of when planning something is where drink will fit into it, even if it's just going to do the food shopping on my afternoon off. If drink isn't involved in something and I'm (shock) sober I feel paranoid and like I'm too much in my own head, too aware of everything, everything feels so clear and I feel 'too healthy' or something? Booze then brings this sense of what I have come to feel is my reality.

At 26 years-old I feel like an old man half the time. I'm a good looking guy but recently I don't recognise the pale, podgy bellied but gaunt looking man staring back at me in the mirror.

It stops today - the first day of my sobriety - breaking the habit of a lifetime and making a change for the better.

I look forward to getting to know you all..!

Thanks for reading!

James x
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR James

Originally Posted by jambry123 View Post
I seem to have formed this horrible habit of associating drinking with so many different events - everyday occurences. It's hard to explain... but the first thing I think of when planning something is where drink will fit into it, even if it's just going to do the food shopping on my afternoon off. If drink isn't involved in something and I'm (shock) sober I feel paranoid and like I'm too much in my own head, too aware of everything, everything feels so clear and I feel 'too healthy' or something? Booze then brings this sense of what I have come to feel is my reality.
This makes perfect sense to me and I'm sure plenty of people here can relate to this too. I definitely had that 'too healthy' or too conscious feeling. It didn't actually take me too long to get used to though and now I actually feel good for looking after myself. I found all those associations were just conditioned responses which I had to break in sobriety. Takes a while but it starts getting easier as time goes on. Have you thought about getting any support?

Glad you're here x
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome James! I am pretty sure we all feel the same way. You have came to the right place, I am glad you are here!!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for your responses guys, it's lovely to be welcomed.

@hypochondriac, I have considered trying out an AA meeting... there are a few that I've looked up in the local area. I think I might try getting through the first week, build up my confidence a bit and then go. I know you don't have to say anything, which is quite nice to know because for some reason this kind of thing terrifies me.

That's why I love the idea of these forums!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should try one...I can promise you nobody will hurt you...It's free and all you have to do is listen. There is a reason it's all over the world.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jambry123 View Post
Hi all

Thought I would introduce myself as I think I'm going to be spending quite some time on these forums!

For the past decade I have seen my drinking spiral out of control. I have never been able to stop at 'just one' and it's often landed me in stupid, embarrassing or sometimes dangerous situations.

I've nearly always kept it hidden (or what I think is hidden...), drinking on the sly on my own. On my days off it starts before lunch time, on work days it starts the moment I close my shop for the day but whenever it starts it only finishes until I pass out.

At 26 years-old I feel like an old man half the time. I'm a good looking guy but recently I don't recognise the pale, podgy bellied but gaunt looking man staring back at me in the mirror.

It stops today - the first day of my sobriety - breaking the habit of a lifetime and making a change for the better.

I look forward to getting to know you all..!

Thanks for reading!

James x
James, you just told my story. I sobered up when I was 24. Im 29 now. I was drinking just the way you have described. Early start on off days. waste no time after work on work days. Hiding it from everyone. Racing thoughts, paranoia anxiety. Yup, I get it.

I found my answer in AA. It has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I hope you give it a shot.

Best wishes to you.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad that you decided to stop drinking. Its been a wonderful blessing in my life. SR has been very instrumental in my quitting. I needed the community of like minded individuals for support. You can do this!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Jambry!

I totally understand about planning your drinking. I used to do that as well in order to hide it. I'd have a bottle of wine on the counter--which lasted a week--from which I had one glass each night. No one knew about the other bottles I would buy throughout the week and guzzle in secret between the sips from that one glass. I always had to make sure I had "enough".

Congratulations on taking the first step to sobriety. I look forward to your posts. We are all together on this wonderful journey!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. You are not alone. Your story sounds very familiar to me as well.
Glad you are here.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

For a long time, I did not attend any social event if booze were not involved. If I went out for a meal, it had to be a licensed restaurant or I just wouldn't go. The thought of sitting in a McDonald's and not being able to drink drove me mad, since I could be in a pub. I really don't know how I thought I was having so much fun all this time getting more drunk than everyone else and being an obnoxious idiot.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

James, welcome! I identify with everything you wrote. I'm struggling to do anything without alcohol but I know it's worth it. Welcome! Come join our September class thread, it's an amazing group of people!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You should try one...I can promise you nobody will hurt you...It's free and all you have to do is listen. There is a reason it's all over the world.
I am with sapling , we wont bite

And it cant hurt, the worst thing that can happen is you had a cup of coffee and didnt drink for about an hour..
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My sober self always liked to try new things... my boozed up self had no motivation to do anything. Now I'm sobering up... I'll give AA a try. I'll let you know how I get on
Jx
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jambry

D
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pale, pot bellied, gaunt - you just described my current state!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jambry -

Congratulations on making a decision to get sober! If you're worried at all about withdrawal symptoms, don't hesitate to see a doctor and get medical help.

I spent hours here every day in the beginning and it really helped. Take it a day (or an hour or a minute) at a time.... to me, it seemed more manageable that way. We're here for you!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi James! You are so wise to be taking control of your life at such a young age. You'll avoid so much drama, misery, and danger.

I know what you mean about it becoming such a part of your life. I never made a move without it in the end. This will not be you! You won't let it. Congratulations on your decision to lead life with eyes wide open, not numb and foggy. We're glad you're here.