Notices

This is maddening

Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is maddening

It's become apparent. I cannot do this alone. I'm frustrated like crazy. I keep doing really well and all it takes is something so small and I find myself right where I started.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back EH

yeah, I got to the point where I had to accept it just wasn't working and I couldn't do it on my own either.

have you any ideas on a plan forward?

D
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

bb pg 30

This really hit home for me the first time I read it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sapling View Post
most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

bb pg 30

this really hit home for me the first time i read it.
+1
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I don't see it as being "back where you started," EH..... maybe you've just discovered a blind spot or two(?).

I can only share what worked for me, which was checking in at SR every day - it does a much better job of keeping me inspired and motivated than my own thinking. Think in terms of solutions and you'll get there (one day at a time).
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you been trying to do this on your own Eh?

It took me a long time to realise that I couldn't do this alone too... I think part of me thought I should have been able to sort it out myself, and the other part was sat there saying it was all hopeless and there was nothing I could do. It took actually quitting to get some clarity and notice that there actually is a lot of support out there if you only ask for it. Get all the support you can, you deserve it x