Notices

Binge drinking

Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking

Hi, I'm 23 and have been binge drinking for about a year now, three days a month roughly (those three days are consecutive though.)

I want to stop alcohol completely and become teetotal, plenty of reasons why which I'm sure everyone has heard before. I cannot control myself with alcohol, I can go periods of weeks and months not drinking anything but once I've started I can't stop. Before a binge I get a little excited sort of feeling and then I have to drink once that has started, I can't say no (well I can but it's really tough.) I am hoping to buy a book about binge drinking which can help me tackle this if anyone has suggestions, I am worried I will eventually do something really stupid if I carry on and there's plenty of stupid things I've done when drunk which I regret.

I'm currently writing this after a 3 day binge and feel depressed and anxious at the moment, I need to stop. Thanks for reading this.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them, thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...I know some binge drinkers in AA...I was an everyday drinker myself...They tell me for them the binges kept getting closer and closer together....Is that true for you?...And I guess I'll ask you...What are you willing to do to stop for good?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome to Sr...I know some binge drinkers in AA...I was an everyday drinker myself...They tell me for them the binges kept getting closer and closer together....Is that true for you?...And I guess I'll ask you...What are you willing to do to stop for good?
Hello mate.

It's difficult to say, because it's only been a year. I think maybe they have got closer together yeah, I would never drink three days running until recently, but between each binge I'm not entirely sure, it might have gone from two months to one month. Before that I rarely drunk at all.

And I don't know, I know there are people with worse problems than me, so I don't want to sound like I'm being silly, but I don't enjoy drinking and I feel terrible after I have done it.

I forgot to do a search before posting this thread, I hope I have annoyed anyone, apologies if so.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No....You're in the right place....I'm glad you are here!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do some reading and posting here....Try not to compare your drinking to others....See if you can identify similarities....Have you ever gone to an AA meeting before?....You might want to check one out.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! I've been sober for over two years now with the help of my excellent counselor and the people here at SR. Whatever means you choose to stop drinking, give it your all.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No....You're in the right place....I'm glad you are here!
Thanks mate, appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do some reading and posting here....Try not to compare your drinking to others....See if you can identify similarities....Have you ever gone to an AA meeting before?....You might want to check one out.
I've never gone mate no, I forgot to mention I also have social anxiety, so an AA meeting would be near impossible for me. I have a lot of free time, I think that's why I would prefer books, and this website.

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the site! I've been sober for over two years now with the help of my excellent counselor and the people here at SR. Whatever means you choose to stop drinking, give it your all.
Thank you, were you a binger?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This was absolutely true for me. They became longer too.

Binge drinking really is a road to nowhere.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No, I drank all day every day.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Martin

I've been both a binge drinker and a all day everyday one, so I definitely believe there's a progression.

I think you're making a great decision to cut it out entirely.

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here - great to have you join us

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-09-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SDSurfn View Post
This was absolutely true for me. They became longer too.

Binge drinking really is a road to nowhere.
You mean each binge? How long did they last if you don't mind me asking?

I have also just realised I've spelled my username wrong, that's quite embarrassing , that's what you get for joining in the early hours of the morning, haha.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OcassionalBinge View Post
I've never gone mate no, I forgot to mention I also have social anxiety, so an AA meeting would be near impossible for me. I have a lot of free time, I think that's why I would prefer books, and this website.
Yeah...I had social anxiety too....But my alcohol problem got worse than my anxiety problem and I ended up going....Haven't had a drink since. At least you know it's there. They have some books that people use here...Rational Recovery..There are some others....The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is good even if you don't go to meetings....You can get it online...Good luck to you....Some great people here.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
No, I drank all day every day.
Sorry to hear that, I hope my question didn't upset you. Apologies if so.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome OcassionalBinge

I've been both a binge drinker and a all day everyday one, so I definitely believe there's a progression.

I think you're making a great decision to cut it out entirely.

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here - great to have you join us

D
Thanks, I agree I think it's the right thing to do. I can't drink two drinks and then leave it, I have to carry on unfortunately. By the 3rd day I feel terrible so it's definitely for the best I stop.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah...I had social anxiety too....But my alcohol problem got worse than my anxiety problem and I ended up going....Haven't had a drink since. At least you know it's there. They have some books that people use here...Rational Recovery..There are some others....The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is good even if you don't go to meetings....You can get it online...Good luck to you....Some great people here.
Thanks for these suggestions mate, I'm going to look them up now.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

once I start, I can't stop

I obsess over drinking when I start to think I might drink

I am shy, I have anxiety, I have fear, I am socially inept more often than not, I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, alcohol does something for me I can't do for me

I love the effect that alcohol has on me

Glad you are here!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Welcome to SR!

once I start, I can't stop

I obsess over drinking when I start to think I might drink

I am shy, I have anxiety, I have fear, I am socially inept more often than not, I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, alcohol does something for me I can't do for me

I love the effect that alcohol has on me

Glad you are here!
Thank you.

That post is exactly me, yeah. I'm terribly shy.

I forgot to mention I also drink alone.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I found out my shyness was just self-centeredness. I'd go to silkworth.net and listen or read the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

If you can't relate, try reading about Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, or LifeRing for helping you recover.

SR helps, too!

xa-speakers.org has AA speakers recorded.

When they publish the new medical book, the DSM V, they will have Binge Drinking added to the definition of Alcoholism.

Love & hugs,
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I found out my shyness was just self-centeredness. I'd go to silkworth.net and listen or read the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

If you can't relate, try reading about Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, or LifeRing for helping you recover.

SR helps, too!

xa-speakers.org has AA speakers recorded.

When they publish the new medical book, the DSM V, they will have Binge Drinking added to the definition of Alcoholism.

Love & hugs,
Thank you.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am a certified binge drinker. I am over 50, and all of these years never increased my drinking. Why? I always get upset and very angry with myself after a night of drinking way too much...enough to not do it again for a week or more. I used to think how can I go to social occasions or friends houses and not have wine...I do not feel that way anymore. Being a non drinker seems awesome to me now.