Notices

It's going....going...

Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up It's going....going...

So my first weekend of not partying and binging (in about 8 years) has come and almost gone. I was surprised at how easy it was. I was dreading that I'd hate reading all the Facebook posts about the parties my friends went to and feel left out but it didn't even phase me. My sobriety is much more important. Incidentally I also gave up caffeine and junk food at the same time and find the junk food way more powerful of a thing to give up than the caffeine or alcohol. Aside from the caffeine headache that is easing up and some drowsiness, which I just take naps for, I'm fine being off of the caffeine. The alcohol I don't even think about, it doesn't even cross my mind and I never had cravings to begin with so I'm extremely thankful for that. If I had to deal with alcohol cravings I don't know what I'd do. But the junk food ugh. For me part of recovery includes eating healthy and helping my body heal, so I'm sticking to lean meats, fish and vegetables.

The Farmer's market in Hollywood is excellent for fresh, organic, locally and ethically grown food. And I went fishing and caught my own fish off the Pacific Coast. I scored some gorgeous striped bass. But Ben & Jerry's has been calling my name for days. It's funny how out of caffeine, alcohol and junk food, the thing I'm worried about relapsing on the most is junk food!!! lol. But all in all I'm doing great for my first week. I feel great and the junk food cravings a very minor. I start with my personal trainer next week. Boot camp!!!! I know it's not good to quit too many things at once, but honestly I function best like this. I'm an all or nothing kind of person. I can't have a little bit of this, or a little bit of that. It's all of it, or none of it lol. Always been like that.

I'm slowly rebuilding a social life with healthier friends and healthier activities. I went surfing, fishing and hiking this weekend and it rocked!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reco-

You sound great. One thing I can never give up is caffeine. The second is ice cream. Don't know how you're managing all three at once!

Just a thought - for me, without the sugar from the alcohol, my body craved sweets. So in the beginning, I allowed myself them. I actually didn't gain any weight because the alcohol I drank had many more calories. So if you really crave something sweet, it is natural in getting sober.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are sailing along. That's great!

I have not had cravings either and I am, like you, eating very, very healthfully--all organic fruits, veggies, protein, whole grain starches only, no sweets of any kind except fruit and no sweeteners, natural or artificial. I think that is contributing to my ease of transition. I do have one cup of organic coffee in the morning--never was a big caffeine consumer anyway!

Keep up the good work, Reco!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pipparina View Post
Reco-

You sound great. One thing I can never give up is caffeine. The second is ice cream. Don't know how you're managing all three at once!

Just a thought - for me, without the sugar from the alcohol, my body craved sweets. So in the beginning, I allowed myself them. I actually didn't gain any weight because the alcohol I drank had many more calories. So if you really crave something sweet, it is natural in getting sober.
It's been about 5 days and the sugar cravings have really slowed down. I'm taking glutamine which is supposed to help and I really think it is. It's a natural amino acid.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
Sounds like you are sailing along. That's great!

I have not had cravings either and I am, like you, eating very, very healthfully--all organic fruits, veggies, protein, whole grain starches only, no sweets of any kind except fruit and no sweeteners, natural or artificial. I think that is contributing to my ease of transition. I do have one cup of organic coffee in the morning--never was a big caffeine consumer anyway!

Keep up the good work, Reco!
Thanks! The caffeine headache is the worst! Ugh! Today it was mild though, so it has been easing up each day and the sweets cravings have really eased up. The first few days was ugh, sucked so bad, Ben and Jerry wanted me bad!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always found sugar really easy to ditch. You'll crave it for a while but once you haven't had it for a week or two it isn't really appealing any more.

My body is sensitive to caffeine so I don't take in huge amounts of it, but I do drink a lot of tea. The caffeine amount is low enough that it doesn't cause huge spikes and crashes the way coffee or energy drinks do.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I always found sugar really easy to ditch. You'll crave it for a while but once you haven't had it for a week or two it isn't really appealing any more.

My body is sensitive to caffeine so I don't take in huge amounts of it, but I do drink a lot of tea. The caffeine amount is low enough that it doesn't cause huge spikes and crashes the way coffee or energy drinks do.
My caffeine amount was quite low too about 40 mg per day, but it was in the form of Monster Rehab, an energy drink made with green tea. The entire can contains 170 mg, (16 oz) but I only drank 4 ouces per day, 1/4 the of the can and yet I was in caffeine withdrawal hell for about a week. I had to take daily naps and have Advil on hand for the terrible headaches.

The sugar cravings have disappeared for the time being, it's been about a week. I'm really happy about that.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're doing so well not drinking. Good for you!