Notices

Not sure I am in the right place

Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure I am in the right place

I was just looking up a question about Vicodin use and ended up here. I have been taking Vicodin pretty much every day for over a year. I started out taking it for a back problem, which I still have, but my pain is not at Vicodin levels anymore. The problem is I can't stop taking the pills. Here's the thing though. I only take one a night. I think the most I have taken in a day is three. But I HAVE to take one or I feel ill and jittery. Am I really addicted? I'm so worried that I can't stop. I read about others taking so many in a day and feel like I shouldn't be here. But like I said, I can't stop taking even that one a day and I don't have anyone else to talk to about this. I am under my husband's insurance, so have been hesitant to go to a doctor about this. I hope someone out there is listening and will correspond with me. Thanks for listening!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((MrsScarlet)) - Welcome to SR! I can't tell you whether you are addicted or not, but I do know that when I used drugs that I really didn't need? There's a problem.

You don't have to answer "am I an addict" right now, but you may want to think about taking a potent medicine when you really don't need it.

I hope you read around on other posts, as you will find you're not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey MrsScarlet,

Vicodin is an addictive drug, whether its being used "legitimately" or not. Your body will build a tolerance/dependence on it and you Will have withdrawal symptoms, especially if you've been taking it for so long. I've had broken wrists and numerous surgeries where I prescribed pain meds for legitimate pain, but getting off was not fun. It should definitely be supervised by a physician who is familiar enough w/ it.

There are other groups on here as well that address "addiction" to drugs (vs. alcohol, etc.), and I'm sure more folks will post here for you. This is a great place to be Good luck with your journey.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MrsScarlet

I agree with the advice you've gotten here so far.
I hope you will decide to see a Dr.

You'll find a lot of support here - I'm really glad you found us

D
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

see a doctor as Dee suggested for safe detoxing.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the replies. Im so glad to have someplace to come. I only have one Vicodin left. I am going to try and refill because I have heard that its not recommended to go cold turkey and I can't take off work right now to try and work through going cold turkey even if I wanted to. But I have found a phone number of a doctor that deals with addictions and will make an appointment as soon as possible to see if he can help me. I wish everyone here luck with your own recovery!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, MrsScarlet -

I think you're being really smart about this - first, by admitting you can't stop on your own and second, by getting the help you need. I don't think it matters that it's "just one pill a day" - a lot of addictions start like that.

Lots of support here whenever you need it......