Notices

The eve of day 40

Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The eve of day 40

Anything is possible. I can't quite believe 39 sober days have passed and when I wake up tomorrow I can feel so happy it is day 40. I never thought I could do this before I quit and that's why I continued to drink. I thought it would be impossible to stop and it was easier just to give in and drink. I really do hope to keep this up but I have a massive test next week. It's my birthday and I have been thinking about having a drink, is it normal to do this, I think well a couple of glasses of champagne won't hurt, but I'm frightened this could just be the beginning of the end again. I think I know deep down the answer but I can't stop thinking about it. Any advice folks?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Helbel, and congrats on 39 days. Would love to see you make it to 40 days and beyond. You know celebrating with alcohol is not the right answer so do the right thing and stay sober and strong.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday! My suggestion would be to do something different for your birthday. If having a drink is the norm, start a new tradition this year and do something different.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If anything is possible then a sober birthday would be a good place to start

Don't dwell on those thoughts that are telling you a few glasses of champagne will be okay... The more you think about it the more you will convince yourself that it's a good idea. I only say that because it was exact kind of thinking which kept me drinking for years when really I didn't want to. Don't let those incredible 40 days go to waste... it gets better x
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 39 days! That's amazing.

When you think about a drink, think also about the consequences. It won't just be a glass of champagne. It will lead to more, and then what? So think it through.

Try not to even contemplate celebrating with alcohol. I assume you're feeling better now with you sober days. Why put yourself back in that misery. Just not worth it.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on your days and Happy early Birthday...

I know my first sober birthday was really cool, the next day. When I woke up and didnt come to , and realized what happened..

As for taking a drink this is how that worked out for me every time..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i want to celebrate i buy something called schloer in the uk , it's a "sophisticated" carbonated fruit juice drink , either that or i get fresh grape juice . They are really nice but expencive which is why there only for special occasions .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear Helbel,

It's funny how most celebrations involve consuming alcohol isn't it...

I wonder where that comes from historically? Let's blame the Roman's!

I grew up in Europe so learnt the European way of how to drink, which was usually during meals or had something to do with eating.

As soon as I got back to the UK I kind of lost that way of life as I started to go out in the evenings with friends which meant just "going out to drink" - I couldn't handle it as with an empty stomach it went straight to my head.

I have reached the point where I am aware of having to be careful VERY careful thanks to my recovering alcoholic brother and the fab SR - I find that Blueberry juice which is full of antioxidants and extremely yummy works for me.

Have a good Bday.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 39 days Helbel

It's my birthday and I have been thinking about having a drink, is it normal to do this, I think well a couple of glasses of champagne won't hurt, but I'm frightened this could just be the beginning of the end again. I think I know deep down the answer but I can't stop thinking about it. Any advice folks?
I think it's normal to have urges yes - and we have such a mental tie with alcohol=celebration, that tie can take a bit to break.

Think about it tho - what bought you here?...go back and read your earliest posts if you need to.

That's what's at stake, that's what you're risking...every binge, every bender, every regretted wasted day, week, month, or even year (I wasted 2 years drunk after 'just one glass' once) ...it all starts with 'just one glass'.

Drinking's not a celebration for people like you and me...it's a lot like Russian roulette.

Find something really celebratory and life affirming to do on your birthday

Think the drink through - play that tape through right to the end...think about what's at stake, Helbel

D