Notices

First full week sober & irritable as heck! normal?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First full week sober & irritable as heck! normal?

Hi. I'm an alcoholic but no one really knows. Sure I drink with friends, but it's the bottle of wine or more I put down solo when I come home from the party or every night after work that is the real problem. I started charting my drinking patterns a few months ago and could not ever get past 3 days without a drink. Then it would be a 2-3 day heavier binge. Had a cold last week and just put the bottle down. 4 days turned in to 5, kept myself super busy this week and today is day 7! I have not gone a week without drinking in at least 7 years!! It's strange because it's not too tough right now, I think because I had a cold.

Here's my main question: I have been a total bear this week. Just feeling completely irritable and just want to spend the weekend alone away from humans. Is this normal for a week sober or is this what is underneath my use of alcohol? I know you don't know me so can't say for sure, but curious how other people felt during the first few weeks.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 7 days, yes I think it is part of the process for me anyhow. The smallest things make me frustrated, I'm also on day 7 hopefully it will get easier.

Hang in there friend.

Join the Sept 2012 thread loads of support there for us
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This was definitely the case for me. It gets better. Focus on a good diet, and watch your caffeine intake, it should help.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 7days View Post
Hi. I'm an alcoholic but no one really knows. Sure I drink with friends, but it's the bottle of wine or more I put down solo when I come home from the party or every night after work that is the real problem. I started charting my drinking patterns a few months ago and could not ever get past 3 days without a drink. Then it would be a 2-3 day heavier binge. Had a cold last week and just put the bottle down. 4 days turned in to 5, kept myself super busy this week and today is day 7! I have not gone a week without drinking in at least 7 years!! It's strange because it's not too tough right now, I think because I had a cold.

Here's my main question: I have been a total bear this week. Just feeling completely irritable and just want to spend the weekend alone away from humans. Is this normal for a week sober or is this what is underneath my use of alcohol? I know you don't know me so can't say for sure, but curious how other people felt during the first few weeks.

Thanks!
I am 9 days in.........stopped 30 August - it was after a binge and it happened by accident - one day has gone on to the next day. Yes from time to time am a bit narky. Like you, I drank for the past number of years - could stop for a day - (that would be after I had been on a binge and could not drink cos had no appetite for it) but then the 2nd day back on it. My wife and son are gone for the weekend I am on my own - I don't think it is a problem you being on your own - people have diffirent ways of dealing with it....or facing the pproblem head on, addressing it.
I am an alcoholic - always could not wait to get away from work so that I could get a drink. My whole day revolved around alcohol - meaning I planned when I would have a drink, when I could go to the pub, made sure to have at least 10 to 20 bottles of beer at home. So alot of pleople will tell you you to keep going....but in the end it is you that has got to tell yourself to keep going. So be strong, get stronger and remain strong - don't give in to it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
This was definitely the case for me. It gets better. Focus on a good diet, and watch your caffeine intake, it should help.
Absolutely agree. Two days after I stopped I changed my diet. I can say that it does have a positive effect....even though the diet I am on is mostly vegatables, rice, olive oil, salads, not so much white bread and lots of fruit tea
The way I look on it you spend more time preparing your food - which takes your mind away from drinking. I find that making salads are the best - because they take up some time to make and are really nutrious....and are not full of calories.

Also have a bag of apples, carrots, celery on hand.

Also treat your self - last night after 1 week not drinking I had a 300 gramme juicy steak.

I am sure you can remember the day after a binge and you would crave for a bacon sandwich, fried brunch etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes same here also, I found myself getting very snappy at my kids which I felt really bad about after,
good news it does get better when mind clears and the sleep improves.
Keep going, 7 days is great.
Aim it now for 7 weeks, months? Then who knows, we can get away from this horrible poison.
All the best
Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At 8 months here after 30 years drinking. I feel like I am still at baby steps because I sometimes feel like this aswell....Cant just expect things to be better straight away, my body has been poisoned for a long long time, its readjusting everything is new.

Ride it out, because I am getting glimpses of great things, the light is breaking through the clouds if you know what I mean.

Good Luck.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think i was snappy and was like a bear in a cave hibernating for the first month . The rest was deep and glorious when it came, although there were a few nights where i was wide awake all night. I'd just read on-line stories about alcoholics or free books from the online gutenberg library.

For the first four to six weekends i just slept, i only woke for food, washing and lots of water . I had been knocking back 3 bottles of wine a night and about 3 of spirits at the weekend so i was quite tired and my body was in need of rest i suppose .

congratulations on the 6 days done and dusted ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-08-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

I was definately unreasonable and grumpy in the first couple of weeks. I had zero patience for my kids or anyone who didn't jump when I said jump. I was so tired. I found finding sometime in the day to be by myself (usually when I walked the dog) allowed me to relax. This "time" helped me when I was winding up and most of the time I wouldn't lose it and snap at them. When you start sleeping you will feel better. Congrats on 7 days.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have bad mood swings... Happy to sad... To mad... To really mad... Back to happy. I pick on people... Wanna kick the cat. And don't want to talk to anyone... But then ask why is everyone avoiding me?

Hmmm... Hope that's normal.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I have bad mood swings... Happy to sad... To mad... To really mad... Back to happy. I pick on people... Wanna kick the cat. And don't want to talk to anyone... But then ask why is everyone avoiding me?
Yeh mine was like a spinning top winding down *wobble* *wobble* without alcohol to blast "I" away into nothingness ..
It took about 3-4 weeks and i felt good ... took about 6 months and i found myself beaming smiles at people, laughing at lots of things and being jolly for no reason, i found out this is what was called a good mood , what i'd had before was a meagre shade by comparison ,

M
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone! It's really helpful to hear that others can relate so at least I know I'm not totally crazy - or crazier than any of you! haha. I figure I'll just socialize through technology for a bit so I can manage it on my own time.

Thanks for the tips on nutrition - I've seen myself naturally gravitate that way so there must be a biological need for it. Spent more time picking out cherries and apples the other day in the store than I have in my life - maybe the same amount of time I spent picking out wines. Gee, we are interesting beings.

Feeling motivated and in fact, realized that this is Day 9, not 8! One day at a time.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered

The BB says we are restless, irritable, and discontented.....and I was certainly all of these!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can relate to that, I'm on day 7 and all last week at work I found myself sometimes snapping or being very sharp with people, though as the week went on I managed to tone it down a bit as I realised I was doing it.

I used to use alcohol as a "de stresser" after work and so with out anything to block work out of my mind in the evenings I now have to adjust and learn to deal with my feelings and thoughts without it, which in the long run should be a more healthier way to approach life, but in the short term a bit of a challenge.

In the meantime I know I'm a bit irritable with people, I've also figured out that getting wired on caffeine in the mornings doesn't help, so in the evenings and mornings I decided half way through last week to start having some green tea before bed and some in the morning (I had no idea if it was going to work, but I was up for trying something in the hope), this I've found has relaxed me a bit and cut out alot of the anxiety I was feeling after quitting drinking, and things now should improve as time passes!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

very normal

I felt better when I rationalised that, at some level, it was a manifestation of my mnid and body healing and recuperating

stick with it - try to focus on the good stuff in your life, 7days

D
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yup and welcome aboard..
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your normal , I got a feeling tomorrow will be the good day and good luck with it , patience/tolerance levels drop for me for days after a heavy binge, nearly in tears in fustration when the bag of chips wont come out of the freezer box with ease the way I want it to after a heavy night