Mother of addict not supporting daughters recovery...yet

Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mother of addict not supporting daughters recovery...yet

Hi everybody. I'm Zube, alcoholic. Married to normie wife, with addict step daughter.

Here is the short of it. Daughter has been addicted to pain pills for past 10 years. Stole mothers script on Saturday, filled it, and took all pills. Mom found out on Sunday and was going to kick her out of the apartment out back, which her and her kids stay, pretty much for free. Daughter does not work, has a history of legal problems, work problems, etc. all related to her addiction.

Daughter came to me asking for help to get off pills, and did not know how. I've worked with her since Sunday to get her into an Intense Outpatient Treatment program, A.A., and N.A. This is the first time that she has ever asked for help, and admitted to having a problem. What confuses me, is the way that her mother is reacting. After daughter stole script, mother wants nothing to do with her. Refuses to support her recovery. Mother has prayed for this moment for 10 years, and now that it is happening, she has separated herself from it.

I do know that early on in recovery, two big predictors of success are the willingness and desire of the person who has the addiction to recover, but also the support of those close to you. Maybe I see things differently than my wife after going through recovery, not alone, with a lot of support. I also know that the situation is out of my control (thanks to my sponsor for the reminder). I'd really like for my wife to be supportive in this recovery process, but ulitimately the decision falls on her. I will continue to support my step daughter throughout recovery.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zube
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post

I do know that early on in recovery, two big predictors of success are the willingness and desire of the person who has the addiction to recover, but also the support of those close to you.
I guess it all comes down to a definition of support.
Stepping back and giving the addict/alcoholic the dignity to claw their way out of hell, is support in my book.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mom, could also be angry about her meds being stolen and possibly think maybe that because she was going to kick daughter out that is why she asked for helped, so many possibilities. I will add your family to my prayers.