Notices

What's Your Recovery Nutritional Plan?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's Your Recovery Nutritional Plan?

I'm new to sobriety and wondering what other people are devising nutritionally? We all know that alcohol inhibits absorption of certain nutrients, which causes depletion and it damages our intestines, which causes us to absorb less nutrients from food, compounding the issue. Low thiamin, B-12 and folate is a huge issue so I have active forms of those three plus a b complex with the others. I hear that glutamine can help with cravings so I have some of that. I'm not sure what else to get. And food wise are there foods that I should avoid and foods to include?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can tell you is lots of water, balanced electrolytes, C and B - The rest is sort of feel your way, I guess.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My detox nutritional program is very specific as I just found out I have both hepatitis C and am Pre-diabetic.

My doctor's recommendations include eliminating all white flour and processed grain products, eliminating sugar, increasing my fresh fruit and vegetable intake dramatically and eating only very lean protein with good fats like nuts, avocado, olives and monounsaturated oils and dairy in moderation. Also since my liver has been taxed and we do not yet know the extent, she suggested eating predominantly organic fruits, veggies, grains and dairy (can't afford organic meats!), not using artificial sweeteners or analgesics and I am supposed to be drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water.

Basically I am to eat the above using the diabetic plate method. 1/2 of my meal fresh veggies and fruits, 1/4 whole grain starch, 1/4 lean protein with some lowfat dairy at each meal. I can have 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks.

I am only taking a multi and vitamin D at this point. I don't want to take any chance of accidentally adding any supplements that might tax my liver any further.

Maybe more info than you wanted and my doctor's recommendations are based on my unique situation of alcohol detox, hep c and pre-diabetes, but I feel like this sounds like a good, healthy diet for anyone.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work in the Vitamin/ Herb industry. I've been running a wellness department for a few years now. The B complex that you have should suffice for all of the B vitamins. I would probsbly take a whole food Multi Vitamin and a probiotic to build up the beneficial bacteria in your intestines. It will also keep your immune system strong. Eating right and getting adequate excercise is essential. The fact that you quit drinking is going to make a huge difference in every aspect.
Glutamine ( amino acid) may stop cravings, I'm uncertain and havent had feedback this. Good luck.
IMO getting your vitamins from food is the best route. ( To the moderator: this isn't medical advice )
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
Maybe more info than you wanted and my doctor's recommendations are based on my unique situation of alcohol detox, hep c and pre-diabetes, but I feel like this sounds like a good, healthy diet for anyone.
Absolutely!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

As always I recommend people see their Dr or some qualified person when talking about taking supplements or thinking about some lifestyle change.

Whats worked for someone may not work or may even be dangerous for another.

Please also remember our medical rule here guys:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
thanks

D
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not to get fat!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No professional advice here, just what works for me: lots of water and lots of real food. I choose liberal doses of fruits and veggies, along with whole wheat bread and crackers daily. Lean meat and lowfat (usually) organic dairy almost daily. I spend a lot of time outside for that natural dose of Vitamin D, too!

Please consult your doctor for the skinny on choosing a healthy diet for your recovery!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally, as to not break rule 10. I am drinking lots and lots of water. I still feel very dehydrated after stopping for almost two weeks now. I downed a little over a gallon of water, but I want to down two gallons sometime this weekend to hope it clears dehydration. Eating as healthy as I can with my ulcers. I would normally not eat breads and food with flour but because of my ulcers I kind of have to. If I could I would do a modified paleo diet incorporating dairy and beans. Drinking dandelion tea for the liver, and a detox tea for detoxing my body (not sure if they work but worth a shot, can't hut as bad as alcohol). Eating fruits and veggies. Taking fish oil, B-vitamin complex, and multivitamin. For after exercise workout supplements I do use glutamine, as well as other protein.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

I'm big on milk thistle