Notices

First post, day 2

Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
G34

First post, day 2

First post, day 2 of sobriety. Big weekend binger. Not really craving anything until I'm in party mode at the bar. And "party mode" was nothing more than "I'm lonely and ready to embarrass myself so I can tell myself how much I hate my life in the morning."

Tried AA twice in the past, but the problem I always found with it was that I didn't "WANT to quit drinking". I just wanted to be able to drink and be NORMAL like everyone else. I never got far enough into the steps nor the program to realize that this just wasn't possible.

The first two rock bottoms ended in a jail cell in '05 and '07. I've been a lot more careful since then going 5 year incident free, but as I read somewhere else earlier.....this disease is patient and in the middle of a massive binge over the weekend, I told myself "party's over" and decided to check out of drinking for good.

Spent Monday unable to leave my bed hyperventilating, sweating, and shaking from the hangover (the usual) and went to a meeting on Tuesday. Actually decided to read some of the Big Book and Chapter 3 hit me like a freight train.

Anyhow, it's good to know I'm not alone and I appreciate all of the personal stories and support I see here. I think my biggest challenge is going to be dating, as "going out for a drink" seems to be the norm these days and I feel like I just further narrowed my already narrow dating pool, but nothing good has ever been found at the bottom of a glass for me, so I guess that's a moot point.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR G34

I try not to get too far ahead of myself...get sober...stay that way...learn to be happy that way...and all other things - including dating - will tend to fall into place I think

good to have you with us

D
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi G34. Welcome.

I think most of us would have liked to drink normal before we truly realized that wasn't going to work--at least not for long. I sure did.

Since going out for a drink (at least an alcoholic one) won't be an option, you will have the opportunity to be more creative! Toasting s'mores by a fire pit would be more romantic than a smelly, loud bar anyway...

Congrats on Day 2!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome G34!

There's a lot of advantages to being sober on a date (more intelligent conversation, you'll be yourself, you can drive without worry, and you remember the evening, too!)

Glad you're joining us!