Notices

Strange cravings

Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange cravings

I am eight weeks sober today. Last night, I "needed" salt and proceeded to finish the end of the bag of potato chips (glad it wasn't a full bag), and then I "needed" sweet so I had a few spoonfuls of mint chocolate chip ice cream. These are the types of munchie cravings I would normally associate with drinking. What gives??

And then this morning, I woke up in a panic, with my heart racing, and feeling anxious about nothing. Such a weird start to my day.

At work now, calm(er) but still feeling a little stressed having woken up so out of sorts. Oh well...I guess it goes with the territory?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Wow I think your doing GREAT... I could and still eat the whole bag of chips or popcorn and then a big bowl of butter pecan.. :rotfxko

Congrats and keep doing what your doing, and enjoy the salts and sweets a bit, we deserve it after what we did to our bodies..
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are doing wonderful!!!

I'm not sure about the cravings or why we have them but my goodness I sure have them lol
I drink alot of fruit smoothies
Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The sugar and/or salt may contribute to the anxiety... it does for me. But hey, it's a hell of a lot better than having a drink right?? Good work!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us can identify with those type of cravings, especially in the early days

They do settle down tho...I'm back to normal now LOL

D
Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

IndaMiracle,Ragamuffin and Bjames, - Thank you so the support, and the kind words.
Good to know my cravings aren't so ridiculous! I do love chips, but usually try to avoid them so it is rare for me to have any in the house. As for the ice cream..the only reason i didn't eat more was that I don't like the mint - but I do like the chocolate chips
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee -love your new avatar! the muppets and friends are some of my favourite characters

Last edited by katan; 09-06-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident Alien

I think it is a good sign your mind is getting back to functioning as it should (craving food, as opposed to toxins)... as for the anxiety, I'm not sure. I think its fairly common. I know I have issues many days waking up right out of bed with a jolt of it, and it usually burns off by the evening time.

Best wishes in your continued recovery!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd say indulge those cravings...better to gain a pound than undo all of your wonderful recovery work. I woke up with anxiety this morning too, but thankfully it's subsided somewhat. Great work and congrats on 8 weeks!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your progress! For me personally, I have to keep some kind of candy around. Last night a bowl of cereal hit the spot. I believe it all has to do with the amount of sugar we consumed in those drinks we used to have. I have tried to substitute the candy with crystal light or mio flavor enhancers....anyways, congrats again and keep up the good work.