What Does Your Signature Tag mean to you ?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Caucasian;West Coast; Husband sometimes breathes fire; hence his nickname Dragon & mine Mrs. Dragon
What Does Your Signature Tag mean to you ?

Ive never been on a forum such as this before; another thread just served as a reminder to me that when communicating in this type of format; with such a diverse group of people, its easy to forget we don’t all view things the same, nor reach the same conclusions when looking at the same facts.

We all have different life experiences, and are also at different stages in dealing with our loved ones; these things guide both our understanding, and the direction of our thoughts.

Signatiure tags seem to be a way to show a tiny bit of our personal side, and so I would like to share mine, and explain the significance it holds for me.

I invite others to share their signature quotes also; that we might get to know one another a bit better.......

I selected this quote as my signature quote:

The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found

I found it to be a beautiful way to express the acceptance of my son; as he stands before me today.

I think of this quote in a Zen, or inward meditative way….

Someone I love (my son) is lost (using substances; and he is not himself). In my heart, in my life I could shut him out because I disapprove of his choices; but I have made the sacrifice (in my own mind) to accept who he is at present (letting go of who I have perceived him to be; who I know he truly is); but I will continue to seek (within this new version) the heart & soul of my son; knowing by faith that one day he will find himself & return whole once again
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love what you said about signatures, MrsDragon. I also love the fact that you haven't given up on your son.

I believe that an individual's choice of signature lines is definitely a small reflection of who they are and their outlook on life... at least at that particular point in time.

Mine currently, is all about how I try to live my life now.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MrsDragon, I love your interpretation of your signature. I love hearing how others interpret the exact same words in so many different ways. We all bring our own experiences to the interpretation.

My signature reflects my "fears." It's easy for me to be cheerful and bright when all is going well, but when the darkness comes (in my case, my heartache over my AS), I seek to find that light inside of myself that can guide me through the hurt of seeing someone I love suffer.

I pray that your son returns to you whole. I pray that all of our loved ones who struggle with addiction may once again return to the families who love them.

The hardest thing I have ever faced is truly accepting that my love alone cannot
cure addiction.

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It means I am better off without him and to stop feeling sorry for myself, which I am actually doing today.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

My signature means to me that I have reached a point of acceptance. After 10 years of trying to save my son from his addiction, after 10 years of trying to get him to behave in the way I wanted him to behave (getting clean), after 10 years of making him responsible for my happiness and experiencing misery because he wouldn't/couldn't, I finally found acceptance 2 years ago that he is on the path that he chose.

He wants to live the life he is living and by me trying to force him to do things my way, I am making us both miserable. By finding happiness and peace within myself in spite of what he is doing, I have made his burden lighter. I have also given my younger son the gift of living a life without addiction in the house.

The strange thing is that for the last 2 years I have been able to be with my son without the insane arguments we used to have. Since I stopped spending all our time together telling him how he should be and what he should do, I can be with him in peace. I still choose to avoid him when he is high as my son is not there during those times.

My signature also reminds me how far I have come in showing another human being respect for his choices.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My signature is a poem by Patrick Overton. It's titled "Faith" but I had to cut that out and abbreviate his name to fit within the character limits for signatures. I like to meditate on the words when I'm facing something particularly challenging in my life - those times when it feels like the life is just one giant struggle after another.

Thanks for creating this thread, I think it's interesting to see the different interpretations of the various quotes or sayings.

I always love FindingErica's Dolly Parton quote! I can just imagine her saying it, too, so matter of fact, I feel like my late grandmother would have said something quite similar - she was a firecracker just like Dolly!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have a signature line.
If I were to steal one, it would be Hydrogirl's.
"Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance,
my calmness for acceptance,
or my kindness for weakness"
Love it.

I don't have one because I change my mind about things so often, I would change it too often and a Mod would come along and slap me up the side of the head.

I am also an attention seeker and would probably have to put something attention-seeking and childish and stir the pot and get loads of ATTENTION!
Yea, I am getting all grown up.:rotfxko
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have two. The first one is a quote that I like regarding animals, whom I like a lot more than people sometimes. The second is a line from a song by The Eagles that I thought was appropriate for this forum.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't changed mine for ages.. Maybe time for a change? Hmm!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I don't have a signature.

That said...

Rush's new album came out back in June. The closing track is called "The Garden". The sentiment behind the song is the most important things in life are love and respect, towards ourselves and towards others. The metaphorical garden is the acts and attitudes one has in life. It's a beautiful, beautiful track. Anyways, the chorus:

A measure of a life
Is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
A treasure of a life
Is a measure of love and respect
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time
Is the only return that you expect
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

Interrupted, I love yours so much I have even posted it on my business FB page.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For several years my perception of my life was pretty miserable. I don't remember what sent me whining down a cynical pessimistic road, but I got lost on it. Then while my husband was channel surfing one night, I heard my sig line on a public tv program with Dr. Wayne Dyer. We both got caught up in it.

I think it was in the 2nd year of my daughter's active addiction, that I remembered the quote. Between my therapist, meetings and here, I realized my way of thinking wasn't helping anyone, so I decided to flip it over.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Mine is a little faith reminder, mostly for myself, as I listen to the birds here break into a symphony each morning before the dawn breaks.

I often use quotes from Winnie the Pooh, one of my favourite inspirations. One I particularly like is “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

I change my avatars and my signature on as whim, you can often tell how I am feeling just by watching my choices. Right now I am "one with the birds"...loving watching the migration as they pass through my little bay.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mine is a reminder, the opening of larger piece … but it is open ended like everything I write and can be interpreted as the reader needs it to be. I love words and the immeasurable ways they can be strung out.

…all words carry such a huge responsibility, being a window to the soul…

Zoso… the garden, an awesome song.

In the rise and the set of the sun
To the stars goes spinning
Spinning 'round the night
Oh it is what it is and forever
Each moment of memory aflight
The arrow flies while you dream
The hours tick away
The cells tick away
The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve
The hours tick away
They tick away
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

such a cool thread ....

mine is scripture, simple .. but for me so very true ....

these days the challenge is to continue to seek God, I get so weary that at times I just don't have the strength to do even that. I do however find that even when I am not actively seeking Him, He is carrying me. When I find the strength to get up out of my sorrow and read and pray it is always good.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't have one.I could think of some smokescreen
pseudosophisticated answer as to why.........

(but the truth is I don't know how to get one!)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Vail, if you click on User CP at the top on the blue bar, you will see an option called "edit signature" and then you can put in whatever inspires you.

PM me if you have trouble with this, and maybe I can help.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Vale: I am sure you can come up with ideas for your sig line on your own but just wanted to add that I think this site good for interesting quotes: Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote

My sig line - something I really should think about daily, as it relates to me, as I tend to be negative and recognize how my attitude will make or break me.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Vale, you are my most quoted person on here! Especially the thing about committing to preserving human dignity above all other commitments. It's amazing how one sentence can change your perspective just enough to redirect the course of your life! Preserve human dignity above all else is my mantra right now

My signiture is a quote that to me is about courage, don't be afraid of exposing your truth. So many of us codependents live as a false self, our true self and our true feelings would be unacceptable and rejected. Sometimes our lives have depended on our ability to hide ourselves. But by exposing our true self and living our truth, although our lives as we know them may change forever, the light inside of us, the indestructible light that is within all our hearts and souls, will shine free and unencumbered.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had my screen name way before my tag line.....I chose Lightseeker because I knew how dark and evil the energy of addiction is. I was aware of how my intentions needed to be towards "the light".

My tag line came later when I saw it on this forum....it reminds me to stay centered in the place of light and that all I can change is me. This is a program of attraction and not promotion and if I stay in the light....that's all I can do.