Notices

I Need Help

Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Need Help

Hello everyone and thank you for giving me the opportunity to find help. My thoughts are a mess, so please try to bare with me. I never have really used a forum before so I'm sorry if I mess something up. Anyways I need help and badly. I'm 22 years old and have gotten myself into a bad situation. I messed around with my moms 10mg/375 Hydrocodone and now I'm hooked. I take 6 pills a day...which idk how bad that is but it needs to stop. My family depends on me for money and support and I know this is just going to get worse. My mom doesn't have much longer to live and I want to be sober when she passes. I've been taking them for about a month and a half now. I stopped once during the period and the body pain was horrible. I'm assuming it's going to be worse if I quit cold turkey. I HAVE to keep working and be able to function during the day. I have absolutely no money to spend. I'm not sure where to start, or how much to cut back. I am 100% determined to do this once and get it over with. Please any advice or questions for me will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could try going to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. If you search around on the internet, I'm sure you will find some in your area. They can give you some information about how to proceed next.

Maybe you would want to look into rehab or detox if you are afraid of the withdrawals? They do have outpatient rehabs as well if you are worried about missing work.

But you know you have a problem, so I would check out an NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting, or find the local office and give it a call and see how they can help.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome PursuitofHappy -

It's never easy to admit we have a problem and reach out for help, but it's the best thing we can do for ourselves. You're recognizing this early on, too, which is great - it doesn't get any easier to quit down the road.

Have you thought about talking to a doctor about withdrawal? There may even be some doctors in your area that specialize in addiction. I know it's scary - I was really scared when I first quit drinking, too - but it's worth it just to get our peace of mind and sanity back.

Take a look at the substance abuse forum, too - I know you'll find other going through the same thing:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you're here!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Pursuit

I know you say you have no money to spend, but seeing a Dr really is a good idea I think.

The clinics in the following database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

I think support is very important too, whether it's NA or some other recovery group, or just us here.

I'm glad you've joined us

D
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am shocked at how fast you guys have replied and I honestly am excited to start this. Im actually going to go post in substance abuse right now. Thank you
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am so glad you posted and recognized your problem this early in the game, before you do irreversible damage to your life and the lives of those around you.

Quitting is the biggest gift you can give yourself.

Talk to a dr, or at the very very least call a drug rehab online number or get to a clinic, find out your options for getting the help YOU need.

Detoxing soon, even if it means missing a few days of work is going to save you so much pain and sorrow. It will also, ultimately save your job.

I'm a recovering addict, NA has been an important part of my recovery, you might find it useful to you. These forums have been a HUGE asset to my recovery.

You're not alone. Detox sucks but you only have to do it once and it sucks way less than active addiction. Then, freedom!