Notices

Getting back to recovery after a slip

Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting back to recovery after a slip

Hello all, I'm a 27 year old guy and I've been having trouble staying off of alcohol for a while now, and I've thought I was alcoholic and been going to meetings on and off for a little over a year. Like a lot of people who have drinking problems, I've ruined a lot of opportunities in my life because of alcohol and I'm not where I want to be. I had some crazy nights over this past weekend and I'm at the point yet again where I realize I have to stay sober. I'm posting on here since I spend a lot of time on the computer (I'm an IT student) and I want to have my mind on recovery.

I went to an AA meeting this evening and felt better while I was there. My mind is pretty shaken up and I don't want to think about other things and staying sober gives me hope. Thanks guys and I hope that all of you find yourselves well.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Then88
you'll find a ton of support and understanding here.

glad you've joined us
D
Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community, thenn88. There are a lot of genuinely helpful people here. Stay with us and keep posting!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome thenn88 -

Glad you're joining us and have decided to get sober. I think a lot of us have gone back to drinking after realizing we had a problem. We just hope we can find a way to drink without the usual consequences, only to find things get worse over time. That was my story, too.

This is a great place and being on the computer a lot, I think you'll find it really helpful.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I've been spending my night listening to some podcasts of AA speakers. Like I said, I'm still kind of in that shaky depressed "What the hell did I do and how did I think it was a good idea?" state. I'm trying to stay away from those bad thoughts because sometimes when I have a hang over, it feels like those thoughts cause something like a shot of anxiety that ripples through my whole body. It's an awful feeling! I know it will pass which is comforting, but I just have so much trouble maintaining that sobriety.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So good to see you're being proactive in your recovery. SR is so helpful to us.

Glad to see you're posting. Welcome
Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot. I'm having trouble sleeping so I've been poking around on here and posting. I'm going to a meeting tomorrow morning and hopefully one in the evening too.

An ex girlfriend of mine called me this past weekend while I was drinking who I haven't talked to in about a year. I thought about her a lot over that time. We talked for a really long time, probably 6 hours or so. I just wish I were in a better position in my life right now.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will come. Doesn't matter where we've been - matters where we're going.

I think it is fantastic you aren't waiting for your life to fall apart to address the drink like I did.

I'm awake because I fell asleep in my lounge chair for most of the early evening; now I'm wide awake.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...Sorry about your slip....Meetings and speaker tapes are great....But it is a 12 step program....Working the steps with a sponsor is what keeps me safe, sane and sober. I hope you have looked into that. It's in the book.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I had many slips but kept on trying and now have over two years!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

welcome back. I'm glad you found your way back.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome That's awesome that you're seeking extra support through here and meetings. I know for me, sobriety seemed really easy as long as I was still reeling from the really bad stuff. It was when (eventually) I started forgetting, feeling awesome and in control that I was in the most danger of returning to me 'old ways'. Stay vigilant!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting tonight. Today was a little better, but I feel like I'm going to have a hard time sleeping normally. I can't stand being awake all night. I'm determined to stay sober and make AA work for me. I hope you all are doing well in your recovery. I know in my heart that better days are ahead.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Every day you don't drink will get better.....Sleep will come with time...It's a little rough early on....It'll get better. Keep moving forward.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The start of Day 4... Not feeling so well, my mom gave me a piece of her mind because of my drinking but that is to be expected I guess. I'm tired of hurting people around me. I'm hitting two meetings today, one at 10 am and one in the evening if I can. Thanks to everyone I've talked with on this site. I've been using it a lot these past few days I know I will in the future. I can't wait until I settle down a bit, I'm still pretty nervous and my mind feels chaotic. Hope everyone who sees this finds themselves well.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 5. I'm feeling pretty good today, but smoking too many cigarettes. I'm going to another meeting today and I started my fourth step this morning which I never did before really. I don't feel so crazy and shaky today, but I do still feel... unhealthy and a little depressed. I do know things will get better, but it feels like the physical part of the alcohol come down is gone so from here on out its only what I choose to do that will make things better, instead of just waiting out that anxiety and craziness.

I hope you all find yourselves well.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you....I prayed a lot doing that fourth step....For willingness and honesty. It helped me a lot.

P.S. You are working those steps with a sponsor??...I hope.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea I'm using my sponsor. I want to go through it quickly but I'm realizing its better to take it a little slower.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome thenn88 & congrats on day 5! Keep coming back here, posting & reading. Especially when your feeling down or tempted. I fell last night, but dusted myself off & am back at it. Learning something new everyday. There's a lot of encouragement & great advice on here. You don't get beat up...you get support.

Hang in there...keep up the good work.
You have my best wishes!!
Hugs~jaz
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenn88 View Post
Yea I'm using my sponsor. I want to go through it quickly but I'm realizing its better to take it a little slower.
I probably spent a month on my fourth step....Not 8 hour days...An hour a day was about all I could handle. I set myself and hour a day aside where I wouldn't be bothered by anything. There were a few days I didn't work on it at all. You'll know when you are done. And time varys for everyone. Just be fearless and thorough...

Thorough.... carried through to completion. It's a beautiful step....Eye opening is the best way I could describe it.