Soooo grateful for my recovery!!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soooo grateful for my recovery!!!!

It is amazing how much better my life is now.... Versus a year ago!!

And it's not because life is perfect. In fact, today could have been a day from hell... If I chose to let it.

The kids and I were in Maryland with family for the long weekend. It's 5.5 hr drive that we do all the time. We were heading home this afternoon. 2.5 hrs into the trip (middle of no where PA) when the alternator dies.

I stayed calm. Pulled onto the shoulder best I could. Calmly called the automaker emergency service line (DOH, roadside assistance expires!)... Oh well, send them anyway because I can't have me and two small kids hanging out while I call around. A wonderful trooper stopped to help me get the car fully off the road. He was so sweet... Sat and talked to me and the kids. He left and said he'd check up in a bit.

Kids and I say and ate snacks, played games and had fun. The wait was really long (remember... Middle of nowhere PA?!?). But it didn't phase them... It was an adventure

The towtruck driver was so sweet and concerned about keeping us safe. He commented on how happy we all were in spite of The circumstances . I was proud of us... Our recovery shined!!! My dad drove to meet us at the dealer (had to leave our car in pa!!) and drive us back to NY.

All the while... I'm calm. Happy. All will be okay. It's a bummer the car broke down. It will probably be very expensive (past warranty)... But ill deal wih that tomorrow. Tonight, we are home safe and sound... An I'm overwhelmed with gratitude.

Life is good.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many people with wings around you today.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its funny that you posted this.
I was thinking the same thing today

What use to bend me over
- Im learning to laugh at them or take them more with grace
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well done, GB, well done. Your kids learned some valuable lessons today that they will likely remember for years.

I had a similar experience, prob 20 yrs ago, with my 2 small sons. We called it "an adventure" as we met Mr. Towtruck Man etc. MANY years later my younger son called me and started the conversation with , "Guess what mom? I had an adventure today!"

You gave them a gift , and likely also to the other people you encountered along the way.

Almost all of our life experiences can be like this, if we want them to be.

Mom hugs
Cats
Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've reminded me of the time my car started overheating one summer while I had my young niece with me. We were on the autobahn and I managed to pull into a rest stop before anything exploded. After calling the German AAA I knew it would be a bit of a wait so I decided that it was time for ice cream.

For years afterwards, my niece would ask me if we could pretend that the car broke down again so we could go have some ice cream.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Yes! This!

Isn't it a miracle? The existence of a day like that transforms me, it brings even more gratitude in.

I just posted this on FB, so I too have been thinking about gratitude. For the record, I'm a recovering Jerk.

How to be nicer. And happier. By Transformyself

First, don't be a jerk. Just stop it. If you feel particularly Jerky behavior coming on, take a breath and count to ten before speaking or acting. And all that stuff.

If not being a Jerk is still elusive, try this:
Get up in the morning and right away go outside and say thank you. For 10 minutes. Witness the sun rising, again, as it has every single day since the birth of our star system and say thank you. Thank you for this day. Thank you for this body. Thank you for my fingers, for my life. Thank you for my family. Thank you for feeding my family. thank you thank you thank you.

Say thank you especially for the things you want for your loved ones. Name them off one by one and say, "thank you for my children, thank you for keeping them safe, thank you for gifting me with them, thank you for giving them wisdom and humility..."

If THAT doesn't work, leave me a note here. We can move to more serious actions if necessary, but the magical, magnificent gift of gratitude should give you a great start.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

what an awesome attitude - taking a potential disaster and making it an adventure ~

what a shinning example of recovery!!!

hope the car bill isn't too bad!!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are giving your children such a lasting gift for them to see their mom so healthy and able to cope with life's inconveniences with humor and spunk.
I'd say you are way more than 'getting by' nowadays. Way to go!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's simply awesome, GB! I continue to be amazed at how even big problems don't phase me, whereas tiny little annoyances once made me crazy. Peace is so powerful.

L