Notices

Sobriety for Youngsters?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sobriety for Youngsters?

I'm wondering how to people in the age group of 25 to 30 stay sober when it seems like our peers social gatherings revolve around alcohol?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit drinking when I was 51...My social gatherings revolved around alcohol till the day I quit....I had to change that.....I would imagine it's the same when you are 25....I wasn't smart enough to see it at that age.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

What Sapling said...For what it's worth, I'm 36, and since my mid-teens "the scene" has revolved around alcohol and other drugs. This is because I surrounded myself with people who were doing the same destructive things I was doing. You could be 20, 50, or 80...life tends to reflect the crowd you run with. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got sober in my teens. Between the ages of 25 and 30, most of my peers were in recovery or scocial drinkers. Not drinking alcohol was not a big deal. Surprisingly, most normal people don't care if someone drinks or not.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know, I think all age groups have social gatherings which revolve around alcohol. I'm 31 but my friends range from 18 to 80 and surprisingly it's the younger ones who don't drink so much. It is my intention to just do the same as I did when I was drinking but without the booze. Not always advisable but my hobby happens in pubs so I don't have much choice.. Obviously finding sober activities to engage with will help, or make sure you have some sober friends.

Welcome to SR RecoRenee
Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im 25 and the past few years always wondered the same thing till I realized I see people of all age groups sitting around drinking at bars ect. This time around im only on day 2 today but changing people I used to hang with I think will def help out with the pressure of drinking.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

LACYPAA - Home

YPAA Links - BAYPAA

acypaa.org/facts-aim-and-purpose/
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's been hard to find peers in my age group that don't drink. I've tried. I've definitely tried. Even work events revolve around alcohol. The only group that I have found in are health enthusiasts, but I don't fit in with them because they eat super healthy and workout every day of the week lolol. None of my cousins peers drink. They are all soccer moms in their 40s. So even though every age group drinks, I certainly have seen that some age groups (teens, 20s) drink much more than others.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

We see what we want to see, RecoRenee. There are more people who don't sit around and drink than those who do. We're like magnets.

Have you gotten sober yet? Found a program of recovery? You don't have to work the 12 steps of AA to go there or to enjoy their young people events. Just sober people having fun!

Keep looking, sober people DO exist!