Notices

I can read again!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I can read again!!!

I was 4 months clean and sober yesterday. Reading has always been my passion but I have barely read at all in the past year. No motivation plus I would have to keep re-reading pages I read when drunk. I am finally back to 2-3 books a week!!

More sober bonuses: I wake early to work out before work!! I keep the house cleaner. I keep track of what the kids are doing in school.

My husband is still unemployed but I am not so angry anymore. He is around so much more now, and we actually spend time together. Since I'm not drinking and we have no money to go out, we instead take long walks together and actually TALK. what a concept!!

I also seem to have more hours in the day since I'm "here" for all of them which is pretty cool.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations! You will continue to find more and more benefits to not drinking. Isn't it great??
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aeo,

Your positive post was great to read (and remember!). Yeah, I had to laugh because I remember having the same experience with movies - I would watch a movie with friends or family, and then two weeks later suggest that we watch a particular movie that I had been wanting to see, and them saying, "We just watched that two weeks ago!" Man. Trying to look at the bright side (there is actually no bright side, but still...) if I bought a movie I could watch it multiple times while drinking and it was like enjoying it for the first time all over again. and over again. and over again.

Geez. I was a mess. What a waste of time.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being restored to sanity ......

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months! And yes, it does get better and better.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Aeo, what a fantastic post! So inspiring, such genuine joy and understanding.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
Aeo,

Your positive post was great to read (and remember!). Yeah, I had to laugh because I remember having the same experience with movies - I would watch a movie with friends or family, and then two weeks later suggest that we watch a particular movie that I had been wanting to see, and them saying, "We just watched that two weeks ago!" Man. Trying to look at the bright side (there is actually no bright side, but still...) if I bought a movie I could watch it multiple times while drinking and it was like enjoying it for the first time all over again. and over again. and over again.

Geez. I was a mess. What a waste of time.
Like Groundhog's Day!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like Groundhog's Day!

Yep! After I watched Groundhog's Day I laugh every time I hear "You Got Me Babe". Ha!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Aeo1313
I am four months sober too and I can relate completely with your positive post.

I love reading and I am back emersed in my books

Also for the first time in ages I got my knitting needles out again and am going to set up my sewing machine. Also I have been trying to learn to crochet. I am left handed and always thought I struggled with the right handed instructions. You know what I struggled with instructions because I was drunk or hungover. Read them through today and now I can crochet - allbeit slowly and somewhat haphazardly but I can do it

Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm getting back into lost pleasures also......reading, movies, knitting, walking. Priceless
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The gratitude list will just keep getting longer too! I remember being grateful to put on mascara without my hand shaking.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm so happy for you, aeo! So glad you didn't relapse this summer, too!!!!!

Keep moving forward!

Happy school year, too!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

way cool
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wooooo congrats, aeo! So pleased for you it's wonderful to hear you sounding upbeat and positive.

I totally understand - since I've been sober I am back to reading whenever I have a spare moment and absolutely adore my baking! Hobbies didn't exist when I was drunk. It's good to have them back!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a wonderful post, Aeo, and I'm glad that you're doing well.

Like you, I had stopped reading when I was drinking and was so glad to get back to my enjoyable passtime. And, yay for 'walking and talking'. It works wonders, doesn't it!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Wonderful Aeo!!! I love to read also and haven't quite gotten there yet at 2 weeks, so it's very encouraging to read your post!

Congratulations on 4 months and on how things are going!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

congrats on 4 months, aeo! i was so happy when i started reading again as well. my husband bought me a Nook for Christmas when i was still drinking (actually, i got it in February, lol) and it was largely unused until i started sobering up. now, i'm back to devouring books as well. it's a great escape and something i too missed a lot.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm happy for you aeo. I missed reading, too. I went for years without reading anything but light magazine articles. Couldn't concentrate - plus a few times I'd pass out reading in bed & a heavy book would almost break my nose. I wouldn't remember anything I read, either. It's good to be back among the living.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep, the reading is coming back. And I can remember the story. Also crafting! I love to knit and stitch, but when the drinking started to fully function, not a thing was done!
It's all coming back now!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, Bonnie - counted cross stitch with shaky hands - not good. I might take it up again one day.