Notices

Day 5.....2 days till the longest time in a long time.....

Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5.....2 days till the longest time in a long time.....

Just thought I would update as seeing other peoples posts have helped me get to the first 5 days......of my new life.

Biggest thing is I have a room mate who is a great friend, and also a great drinking buddy....He jumped on the wagon with me. I had no clue at the time but when I told him I was done with alcohol he said im game. We both are encountering a lot of new things in our lives.....for the first time. Finding out that we CAN do them without a substance influence. For example:

We played poker sober......and it was still fun....

We actually had a fire works show in town and we looked and laughed and he goes when was the last time you saw fireworks sober.....I said....years.......he nodded and said I hear that......It was still an awesome show!

We both went fishing......without alcohol......and we still had fun and caught plenty of fish.....

We both are realizing that we CAN do a lot of things we did for enjoyment without the booze. We have both said we really have to re-learn the way we do things to accomplish them. We had the talk......can you imagine camping without drinking......we both went I thought they were hand in hand.....we will accomplish that down the road.....because we both told each other that there are actually people in the world (I know this sounds crazy) that camp sober.

So far, my anxiety has not been remotely as bad as when I was drinking, or the morning after. I have felt anxious but have not really had the impulse to go buy some alcohol. I think for me is that it is just simply not an option. I look at it as the doctor gave me a note saying I will die if I drink again. I really don't wanna die this early in my life.

My thread might seem a little humorous and I appologize to anyone who might take offense, but for myself and us......we are to the point of moving forward and I know that alcohol is not funny.....nor is it funny for a lot of people. But what is helping both of us is to reflect at how stupid we were acting, being and realizing that we cannot hold the weight of our pasts on the shoulders of our futures, and it all is not humorous....we obviously have things we wish we could take back....but we cannot.. We are fortunate enough to not have done anything crazy bad, but we also realized we were heading down that path. Its both me and him talking about it over poker, that is really helping us not really want to drink at all. We would rather go fishing....

What it turned us into and whatever we said or did to friends/girlfriends we have to look on and move passed it. I quit drinking for myself and a lot of that decision process was because I would lose my girlfriend of over 3.5 years. She has been so supportive as well as my room mate. If a picture of a beer comes to my head.....I replace it of a picture of her.....seems to help....I say which do I want, or need more in my life.

My good friend told me that you cannot love someone else before you love yourself. I realize that I cannot move forward until I forgive myself for the past. I am not perfect....no human is......but for me the time to move forward started 5 days ago.

On Wednesday it will be my first week sober in a long time. Progress is good......the air is fresher, the food is better.....and really every aspect of my life is better.

Thanks for all the posts on here, the reading helps for sure!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

You are on your way to a better life, congrats on your decision to quit and it is good that you have a friend also. You both can give each other support when needed. Good insight and we have to have humor in our life. Keep posting and stay strong. Congatulations again!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job !
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome job! I hope I feel as good as you on day 5!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh man, I loved reading your post! Things are just going to keep getting better and clearer, but be aware that you need to be prepared for a few tough days (at least I had them...I hope that you don't). You sound great, and I love your positivity. Keep going!