Notices

I had to put my loving cat Kramer to sleep

Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had to put my loving cat Kramer to sleep

I just got home from the vet. My cat, Kramer, 13 years old, was really, really sick. I knew going there what they might say, and they confirmed it - renal failure plus a lot of other things going on. I knew he was not well, but I couldn't take him to the vet until today - I am a State employee and I get paid the first of the month. I have really broken down.....but at least I was in reality, did what I had to do kissed him and held him as his little heart stopped beating. This is so very painful. I got sober in tribute to a dog I lost July 19,2011 - getting sober 8/10/11....I know that I let her suffer because I was a drunk....and I loved her more than anything on the planet. At least this time I did it right. This hurts so bad. But you know what? I do not want to drink. I am pretty amazed at that, but all I have to do is think about honoring my little dog that died, and now honoring Kramer too. He wouldn't want me to drink. Oh, Kramer. I love you so much.

Is it wierd that this is the first place I turned to when I got home? You guys know me better than any one in real life. And you guys have pulled me out of hell. I just felt like posting this, because I wanted to tell someone that cares.

Sorry to be a downer. Now I have to take a shower and get ready to go over to my daughter's house. She is expecting a baby within a week. The world just keeps turning, doesn't it. Well, if you have gotten this far thanks for taking the time to read this. I am heartbroken and devastated, but for once I was a stand-up person and did the right thing - sober. I have 3 other cats and 2 dogs. Thank God. Give your animals all the love you can....it can happen so fast that they are gone. Kramer, I love you.

Elizabeth
Old 09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Awww man. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Kramer. It hurts so much to lose one of our furkids. They give us so much joy and it is so hard to let them go. Hugs and much love to you, sissy.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Elizabeth))) - I'm so sorry you had to let (((Kramer))) go. I neglected cats I had years ago to using, and the 3 I have now are my living amends.

I understand coming here being your first thought. I've been through some stuff and my mind says "just get to SR, you'll be okay". I'm not always "okay" but I'm way better off than I was.

We have lots and lots of SR furbabies on Rainbow Bridge, so I know (((Kramer))) is healthy and frolicking around with his "new" friends.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Zee

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I have my furry children and they keep me going.
I have lost pets in the past... but I am sending you this poem that helps me xxx

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you guys for replying so quickly. I feel so alone. This hurts so bad. I keep smeling the prophyphol . I will never forget that smell.

thanks again my friends. I love you.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((sissy))) So sorry for your loss. We've had to put both our cats down in the last six months. It hurts and we miss them terribly but it was the final, loving thing to be done for them. I've also figured they gave us more than we gave them. Let the tears come, remember the joy too.

I'm hoping once life settles down again I can get another kitten or two. I'll let the Universe send the right ones our way!

You'll be in my thoughts and please, if you need extra support, post! We are here for you!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry sissy, it sounds like Kramer was well loved.

I have put many pets down over the years and it's never easy. Kramer was on loan from God and God wanted him back.

Thank God for Kramer .. you did everything right !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Elizabeth I am so proud of you. Kramer was such a lucky cat to have you take care of him all those years. My cat Max disappeared for a couple of days last year and I thought I had lost him for ever. The pain was tremendous. I know that big void we feel when we lose a dear pet. Your sobriety is the best way to honor your dog and your cat. I too am a state employee and know how difficult it is to get paid once a month. Congratulations on your Year of sobriety. Way to go. Hugs,

Natalie
Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Sissy - I am sending you a big hug.
I have had pets all my life and the hardest thing is the goodbye. I try each time to remember all the good years my furry family give me and smile through my tears when I have had to see them go.
There is a poem I always think of too much is of comfort to me:

When I'm gone

Release me, let me go.
I have so Many things to see and do.
You mustn't tie your self to me with tears,
Be happy that we had so many years.

I gave you my love and you can only guess,
How much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you each have shown,
Buth now it's time I traveled on alone.

So grieve awhile for me, if grieve you must
then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It's only for awhile that we must part
So bless the memories whitin your heart.

I wont be far away, for life goes on,
So, if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near,
and if you listen with your heart,
you'll hear all my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile and say, welcome home.

Jing Jing
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh dear, that is so extremely sad! You did the right thing being sober through it. Thoughts of peace and positivity out to you.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kramer was lucky to have you sissy....Just like the people here are lucky to have you. Sending you prayers for serenity and a happy, healthy grandchild!....Again congrats on an amazing year sober!!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I decided to stay home and not go to my daughter's today. Being 9 months pregnant she does not need to be around someone that can't stop crying, you know? So I am going to stay home and chill. Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate it. Take care.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so sorry Sissy it is so hard to let go. I know things have been tough for you but you can be so proud of how you've handled this! And sober! My heart goes out to you.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

I am so sorry for your loss Sissy. I think my pets have been amongst the purest souls I have ever known, full of unconditional love. When my last cat passed away in my arms in his old age, I knew God took him. It became a fundamental part of me finding God when I got sober. A powerful post, and I am warmer by your love for him. My prayers to you and Kramer.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear sissy, my heart goes out to you in the loss of your beloved Kramer. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please take comfort in your wonderful memories of him and in knowing that you gave him a brave and loving gift in letting him go.

I'm honoring a dog I loved more than anything by choosing sobriety in honor of her recent birthday. May she and Kramer be playing happily at the Bridge.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So sorry, I had to have my beloved cat Holly put to sleep down last year she had renal failure too. Its hurts lots but I have comfort in knowing that she is know longer suffering and I did the right thing for her. I am sending you massive hugs. xx
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dear Sissy, so sorry for your loss, you did the right thing for Kramer. Well done staying sober at this stressful time (and good luck with the imminent grandchild), x
Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It hurts so bad to let them go but take comfort in the good life you gave him.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awwww Sissy, I'm so sorry you lost your beloved Kramer. It is never easy to lose our cherished furry family members. You were both lucky to have each other. Hugs.