Notices

If I continue to drink......

Old 09-01-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I continue to drink......

Hey all: Thought I would share where I am at.

I really enjoy this website. It seems to be a great resource, and support and I've enjoyed it these last few days. Anyways, I am on day 3 of sobriety. I had an awakening when I looked at myself one morning (4 days ago) and realized what I had said to my GF of 4 years (again while drinking). I asked if I would want to date someone like me (when im drunk). The answer was no. She deserves better, and I do too. I'm a great person.......when I'm not drinking. I've tried moderation and apparently I have a different definition in my head than what it actually means. Its time for a change.

I realized that my habit was going to eventually lead me down the road of losing all that I love in life, if not my own life. It was time to change. That morning I scheduled an appointment with a counseling service. A lot of why I drink is because of anxiety. Both run in my family and its a horrible circle. I am working with the counselor on the anxiety, as well as the drinking. In my view I basically and completely making a lifestyle change. I was talking with a good friend and I said I can't think of camping without camping and drinking...in fact I can't think of doing a lot of things without drinking. I need to change that perspective. I fortunetly have a lot of support from my friends, family and girlfriend.

I in the last two days have slept better, dreamed more, and of course woken up feeling great. I haven't really had cravings, or withdraws although I get a little anxious towards the evenings. However it has been manageable. I recently turned 27, and I believe at 28 I will celebrate my first sober birthday in 8 years. I'm big on small goals, so when I see my counselor next, I want to tell her I haven't had a drink since I saw you last......It is VERY achievable....

So far so good. I've enjoyed the last few days a lot more, as well as been a lot more productive. Sleeping better, and doing better!

Thought I would share.....
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to SR, guskasb14. Congratulations to you on having arrived at this realization that you can't and won't drink, that is fabulous. The life that is waiting for you is full, and it is yours for the taking. Well done, and thanks for sharing your experience, and your strength. Your post gives hope to the hundreds of folks here who are asking questions, looking for their own answers.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Welcome!!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good deal , Welcome more good things to come
Old 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, it is a great resource, I am on day 8 and it has really helped being able to come here and read others stories when I feel temptation coming on, x
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome,you'll probably find your anxiety reduces massively as a direct result of quitting drinking
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Guskas x
Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on this life changing decision! Wish I'd done it at 27 - I could have avoided so much misery.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.