Notices

If you don't drink beer, wine, alcohol; what do you drink?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you don't drink beer, wine, alcohol; what do you drink?

So I developed the habit of having a beer with, lunch, dinner, watching a movie, grilling, working on the car, relaxing, hanging out with a bud, it's hot, it's cold, the holidays... I think you get the point.

So, what are your favorite substitutions instead of a beer (in my case)?

Do any of you mess with virgin margaritas, mojitos, eggnog, etc (I make a great one that everyone loves, thinking of making it non-alcoholic)?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This especially for us new comers that need substitutions at some point or another while doing stuff.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through a phase early on where I drank a lot of soda. Probably not the healthiest but I could always grab one quick.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't bother with drinks that mimic alcoholic drinks - I'm a non drinker now

I find sparkling water is pretty good - goes with pretty much anything

D
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I drink a lot of water, orange juice with breakfast,
apple grape juice with my current favorite snack which is ham salad on crackers.
Apple cider is good.
If I'm buying drinks at the convenience store on my way somewhere I usually get a life water type drink, I like the ones called 'dragonfruit', or a water.
I have diet green tea in the fridge that I drink sometimes.
And coffee.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spicey hot V8......
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Iced tea. I keep one pitcher of iced green tea and one of herbal passion fruit in my fridge always. Coconut water. Sometimes out with friends I'll do diet coke and grenadine. A few times a week I'll make a non-fat chai latte or nf hot chocolate. I am constantly drinking something too, so I needed substitutes, and I didn't want to substitute something really sweet or caloric. The above options keep me pretty well hydrated
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've picked up a pepsi habit.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesoFreak
So I developed the habit of having a beer with, lunch, dinner, watching a movie, grilling, working on the car, relaxing, hanging out with a bud, it's hot, it's cold, the holidays... I think you get the point.
I so relate to that.

Having the occasional beer with dinner or while watching a movie is something I've been doing since I was 10, long before I started drinking alcoholically. It was a pretty ingrained habit, made worse by the fact that I don't like soda too much.

I've replaced it with tea. It's cheap, easy to make, 0-cal (with sweetener) and puts me in a relaxed good mood. I'm drinking my second cup of the evening as I write this. It's funny, I mocked tea drinkers for years but ended up becoming one.

Really though, there's lots of beverages out there. Something is bound to click for you.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Diet Coke, Diet Coke and more Diet Coke. In my 23 days of sobriety I have drank well over 100 cans of Diet Coke. I really need to work on moderation.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like diet tonic water with a wedge of fresh lime, crystal light and iced tea.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Sobe LifeWater and mineral water here! And coffee...lots and lots of coffee!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I try to drink a lot of water to best repair the damage I did to my body while drinking alcohol!!! If you're not a fan you could try putting different flavors in it-- put fruits or fruit juices in there such as lemon, lime, cucumber, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries-- or use the Crystal Light or Gatorade packets although in my opinion that kind of takes away from the natural refreshing benefits of the otherwise unadulterated water.

When I want a treat at a restaurant I will have flavored iced tea or lemonade, yum.

When I want something different at home, I will have cran-apple juice... I seriously sit there and think "This tastes BETTER without the vodka I used to put in it... seriously alcohol never tasted good to me, I just drank it for the buzz, when honestly cranberry and apple juice taste great on their own!!"

I sometimes like to drink some hot tea or cider because it relaxes me, but not so much in the summer, because it also warms me up!

I was always a coffee drinker and that is the one vice I allow myself (with French Vanilla creamer!) even when trying to eat healthy etc. I probably overdo it on the coffee a little too much now but at least it's not alcohol.

I was never a big soda drinker but once in awhile I will drink a wild cherry diet pepsi, or a coke with a burger and fries.

Don't forget about the financial benefits of drinking non-alcoholic drinks!! One thing I love is when the waiter looks miffed when I don't order alcohol with my meal... he knows his tip won't be as good, and I know my wallet will be in much better shape than when I used to drink!

I had an interesting experience while I was at a happy hour with my sister (I would not recommend this in early sobriety but that is a different story). I saw that a raspberry iced tea cost $2.50 and I was thinking, "What a rip-off, that's so expensive, I don't think I'm going to order it!!!" Then my sister and her boyfriend were so happy that the beer "special" was $3.50! :rotfxko I happily ordered my iced tea realizing that $2.50 was a GREAT deal, especially when it means unlimited refills all night long, while they keep shelling out money for their $3.50 each beer, until happy hour is over and it costs even more!!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I just drink water. Readily available, cheap, and it's good for me. I really don't need to get hooked on one more thing...soda etc.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TiG

Bottled water. I can carry it with me and sip as needed.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Flavored ice tea is working best for me. It's really refreshing, and I even water it down so it's flavored water towards the end. My skin looks a lot better these days!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have always had coffee
Water with lemon
Recharge
Coconut Water
I bought some lemonade
More water
Vitamin water
Juice
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like sparkling water the best -- zero calories, and doesn't dehydrate me like sugary colas.

But something I've discovered that is really a nice treat is ginger beer. Finding a really good one is a delight.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I peronally drink whatever I like...

Mostly Crystal light

Rootbeer
Ice Tea of many styles and brands
Ginger ale
OJ
Apple Juice
V8
H20 with lime or lemon or plain
Slushee's
Coffee

I used to have a longer list of booze, beer , and wines.. I dont drink alcohol so my taste buds still love the change of flavors..

Have a fun safe and sober weekend..
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Soda & lime, sparkling water with slice lemon and/or lime, tea (all varieties, of which there are literally hundreds), fresh coffee again, literally a whole world of coffee beans, tap water, spring water, fruit juices - I like guava and mango but beware they can be very highly calorific. The list is endless lol, and never ever ever does any of it make me sick, hungover, say things I don't remember or didn't want to say etc etc, good luck x