Notices

Messed up again

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messed up again

Hi. I lasted all of 2 days in my bid for sobriety. I'm gutted and so angry with myself. Today, I had an appointment with my local alcohol agency who told me they didn't think they could do any more for me due to the number of slips I've had recently and my cheating on antabuse. I felt so rejected it was unbelievable although they did it kindly and suggested rehab (again) and will support me in the meantime.

Sometimes I wonder if the situation is hopeless. Every time you fail it's harder and harder to dust yourself down and start again and I'm terrified I'll never escape this horrible addiction. I admire all of you who have overcome it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Make this the LAST brush off you have. YOU have to change.. you can't put the responsibilty in anyones elses hands. You are the one accountable. Once you realize this, it becomes quite easy to just not pick up another drink. You control your body. Overcome the addiction. It can be done.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Tm75

Nothing... No one is hopeless. Helpless sometimes. Hopeless never.

It can be harder to get back up. I know it well. But the great part about getting back up is that at some point it will be the last time you have to.

I picked myself up from the last time this week.

People here prove everyday this is possible. And no one is a super person any more that you are.

So ... Go at it differently this time. Adjust to the new learning you have.... And stay sober today.

All my best to you!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't give up!

Explore your inpatient rehabilitate options. Sometimes that is what it takes. You might need a lot of structure and support that you have not had in the past.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi TM75,
You can re-start working at sobriety now, there is nothing but now.

The past is gone, 1 minute ago has gone you have no power to change it you can only accept it for what it was .

The future ? no one knows otherwise they'd win the euromillions every week .

just work on now ,

treat yourself gently you're getting over a major disease ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

THere is always that one last house on the block....
AA
Its worked for me and countless others. Maybe you can find hope there as well. Best wishes.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does get harder each time we try and fail, but you must not give up hope.

Learn from past mistakes and find a way to make that not happen again. You don't have to go through this again.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

What do you mean by end this addiction? I could not get one day for the last couple of years I drank and had to check into an in hospital rehab to get a week and then vowed never again. That was two years ago this coming month. Life still sucks sometimes. It just sucks less without alcohol for me. Instead of drinking problems away which only made them worse, because not doing anything is a decision with consequences too, I decided I needed to deal with life, not run from it.

It was tough at first, it was for all of us. And none of us could do it until that determination and desperation got great enough and we became sick and tired of being sick and tired, and learned the source was not our solace.

Do you still think of alcohol as your solace that you are deprived of when not drinking? If so then you need to rethink that approach. If you do try what are you going to do differently this time?

I had to go to counseling, use AA for the first three months willingly, and here on SR daily. I had been drinking so long I am amazed I healed so much but I was having a rough road the first three months and did not really feel how much I healed until one year sober.

Most folks who can't keep doing the same things over and over that didn't work before and won't work now, yet expect different results. I had to do it all. Read books RET and reality therapy, counseling, AA here on the forums, and rehab for a short time.

I wanted my life back more than that one drink. I built up my ability to deal with life and have a better than even chance of winning. You can too. But you can't have both alcohol and sobriety. Most folks say they know that, then try again knowing they will relapse when they feel like it.

It only works when you do it, not when you try it. And it never works alone, not even for the folks on this forum, or who just read books and succeed.

There are many ways to succeed in recovery, many methods. The only one that you know doesn't work, is the one you keep saying will work and never does. Some only need SR, some face to face like me, some need both and some need in hospital detox like me others can do it without.haven't used. yet.

What are you going to do differently this time?

Read here, post here, you did come to the right place if you want to live sober. We did and were right where you are now once. And were just as hopeless once. Join us.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

keep trying!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I began working the Steps in AA I went from often
shakey sobreity into solid recovery...

I did not go to a treatment center when I decided to quit.
Have you checked out your local AA for support?

Yes you really can win over alcohol....
Hope this will be your time
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took me 3 times at rehab to get strong enough and want it enough. I agree going back to rehab is a good idea, and make sure to talk to them about relapse prevention. Good luck! You can do this!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TM75 View Post
Hi. I lasted all of 2 days in my bid for sobriety. I'm gutted and so angry with myself. Today, I had an appointment with my local alcohol agency who told me they didn't think they could do any more for me due to the number of slips I've had recently and my cheating on antabuse. I felt so rejected it was unbelievable although they did it kindly and suggested rehab (again) and will support me in the meantime.

Sometimes I wonder if the situation is hopeless. Every time you fail it's harder and harder to dust yourself down and start again and I'm terrified I'll never escape this horrible addiction. I admire all of you who have overcome it.
Yup, .. I think you're just about ready for AA, you've about exhausted the other possibilities.

It's not nearly as scary as you think.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I had lots of slips. I went to AA and got a sponser. I started the steps and listened to what my sponser said. I Tried my darnest to think the way the sponser wanted me to, I was honest, I was honest when I wanted to drink. I was honest about what was going through my mind. It was painful telling him my fears and my worries and my crazy things, but I was willing to do whatever never to hurt myself or family again.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Itchy, you're right. I want my life back too. I hate who I am when I drink and that's reason enough to change. Thank you for your advice.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

The situations not hopeless TM...think about what else you can do to get out of this cycle and get to where you want to be

D
Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile No such thing as failure, every day counts.

I hope there is no such thing as failure cos every failuire is a new chance to win, a new day, huh.
I hope so .
Positive thinking yeh/
love to all,
xxx