Notices

Hedges

Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hedges

A while back, at an AA meeting, I heard a member share that in his early days without alcohol, he used caffeine and nicotine, the small buzz he got off them, as "a hedge" against drinking. This, I thought, was an interesting way to put things, and I think perfectly described what I'm doing now in my efforts to not drink. That is: I don't try to limit my use of any non-intoxicating substances (and this includes sugar, as well as caffeine and nicotine), because using them will ease the drink beast. I know this isn't a perfect strategy, and isn't a substitute for doing other things, but I don't feel any need to do things differently, particularly at this early date. Anyone else have hedges? How do you feel about them?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have them! Coffee and Diet Coke. But the Diet Coke is caffeine free if that makes a difference. I figure that as long as I am not drinking and not twitching from all of the caffeine then for now it's fine. Perhaps after I have a little more sober time I'll try to cut back.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Olympia . To me, hedges are in the danger zone for sobriety. Anything that gives any sort of "buzz" or mimics drinking (ie na beer) is not something I would recommend.

Of course I wouldn't want to be quitting alcohol along with tobacco & caffeine! I am simply addressing the 'buzz' factor.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't know if it's a hedge, but I know my sugar use increased. Something had to replace the thousands of calories I was getting from beer.

Now I'm working on cutting down that intake. And if I ever notice that caffeine is making my life unmanagable, I'll quit that.

I think it is quite normal to try to substitute alcohol or our DOC. But frankly, there is no substitute for what we are addicted to except maybe a different addictive substance or behavior. So monitor that.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on H20, green tea and celestial seasonings sleepy time tea and of course my 3 cups of coffee in the morning too. I find replacing alcohol with other healthy liquids has been good for me and sometimes I like to drink caffeine free diet coke too but noticed it makes me real thirsty now for some reason.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think we all "substitute" in the beginning.
If my warm, fuzzy blanket of denial was ripped off me in one motion I think I would have/would go crazy.

Then, if you're a sick puppy like me, it's hard to tell the difference between normal human behavior and "being restored to sanity" .... what the He!! is sanity anyway??!!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input, everyone.

MsJax- Yeah, the buzz thing is definitely an issue for me, especially since I used caffeine and nicotine in conjunction with alcohol. The way I see it, though, caffeine,smokes, and sugar don't have the potential to screw up my life like alcohol has.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will have 9 months sober on the 2nd... goddess be good!
I have used it all... coffee, diet coke, food, sugar.
Because of all of that I am now using another exercise!
I put on about 20 pounds and last week my husband decide to go to the gym. I went with him to entertain him... and now I am hooked!
I haven't replaced the diet coke, and I did get a personal trainer to help me do things the right way.
But, for me whatever I have to do to stay sober I am going to do.
I find that I am a MAJOR thrill seeker, it is part of who I am. It isn't a bad part of who I am. But, it has gotten me into alot of trouble, and into alot of compromising positions I didn't ever intend to be in.
So, for me in sober living I have to embrace that side of myself and attempt to bring it out in a different way.
Crazy enough I am thinking about doing things like... jumping out of an airplane, taking a pottery class, taking a cooking class... these are all things I can do now. Because, I have the extra money and the extra time.

Saliena
Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you, Saliena.

I've found exercise an immense help.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Caffeine, endorphins (from exercise) and sugar were my thing. I still like them all, but in moderation.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Burlington is one of my all time favorite cities, there on the lake and all...

Do what you have to do to stay sober. I did limit stuff that gave me a buzz, and since I was not sleeping too well, I real avoided caffeine early on.

Is it OK to get all pumped up on nicotine and caffeine, well... IDK, it's hard on a body you know.

Take up some exercise or something... yoga, pilates, whatever... I ride bike and that gets me there... I did start smoking again after I sobered up, but I quit, thankfully, it made me cough and interfered with my true joy, riding my bike.

But... I never feel guilty with some candy or sweet stuff. And yes, it did help cravings...
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mark- Yeah, Burlington's great! Walking into there today (I live in the next town over).

Getting pumped up on caffeine/nicotine: I wouldn't say I'm using more than I did when I was drinking (in the case of cigarettes, almost definitely less), but I definitely enjoy them in and of themselves now, whereas before they were just a tool to help with hangovers or drunks. The buzz factor does concern me, though.