Notices

Going to drop forums, but I will check in

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to drop forums, but I will check in

The more I keep coming here the more I keep thinking about my drinking issues... and then I crave booze. Instead of coming here and then craving a beer, I am simple going to stay away and do productive things to keep my mind busy. When I am productive my work matters and nothing else.

I will however come by to let you all know how it is going for me on my first goal at being sober: two year mark. Unless I feel I really need support I will come by every quarter I have not touched booze. Then I may also have helpful advice instead of speaking from a newbie perspective on sober living.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

do what's good for your recovery , don't be a stranger though eh ?

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can understand your thinking about alcohol more when you go to a forum that always talk about alcohol/drug issues and same goes to one on one and group meetings. But you will need to learn how to deal with your urges and cravings for alcohol. I hope you have a plan for this. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Maybe come by more often and read/post on the gratitude forums, or something that doesn't trigger you as much? Whatever you decide, I hope you build a strong and meaningful recovery!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There have been times that reading on this forum has triggered cravings for me, so I get it. Good luck in your recovery, I look forward to reading about your successes next quarter!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Being on here makes you want to drink...

But you drank when you weren't posting to SR, Meso. I am confused with what you are hoping to gain.

From someone who's benefited immensely from coming to SR for support, I hope you will reconsider.

I will repeat what I said in another post to you, if the same mind (or AV) that tells you it is OK to drink tells you that you can do this on your own, I'd be wary.

I wish you luck. I hope you come back in a year and tell me I was wrong.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DO whatever you need to do. Hope to see you back in 3 months
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Meso

when I quit everything made me think of drinking.

I tried hard to convince myself the answer was to do nothing recovery related - but then I looked back at the last 20 years and saw the results of that kind of thinking.

Personally, I'm glad I stuck it out with SR - doing stuff and keeping busy is great - but I needed the support for my recovery too.

If you really think SR is the problem, OK, but do give some thought to other things you can do for your recovery.

It took some work, but I stopped thinking of drinking. You can too

D
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

Doggonecarl, don't sound so surprised, if you read other peoples post to my thread they have a similar experience to me. I am not strange for feeling this way, its the truth. I haven't been here that long, but I did notice the only time I think about drinking is when I come here. I am just trying to not think about it like I normally do not think about it. If I get a completely ridiculous urge to drink I will come back and ask for support, whats going on right now is the other way around.

Your right I can't do this on my own, and that's why I told all my friends I am not drinking and I hope they support me in this; they were all supportive. They know how I get when I binge drink, but they will also miss just grabbing a beer with me, and that's okay.

You know how people say to cut friends out of there life that hinder them, right now I feel this is a hindrance because it makes me think about booze when I am just fine without it. Don't take it personal, this is just how I feel about it.

I am a lot stronger than most people think. I used to be an avid facebook user, and finally I just got tired of it. People did not believe I would last long away from facebook because people get addicted to that also, and people thought I was addicted. I haven't been back in a long time, nor do I care how long it has been either. If at some point I feel I need facebook for professional connections I may consider going back, for now I don't need it as I don't need alcohol. My friends may doubt my commitment to this, but I will surprise my doubters, that I am sure of.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I try not to focus on the drinking part but the solution part. I hope you find a solution