Notices

starting to get sober today

Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

starting to get sober today

I have been smoking pot for about 20 yrs. I was clean when i served in the army for 3 years and for about 6 months after that on my own. I have tried over and over to quit only to fall back in the same ol situation. Im 34 now and started when i was 14. ANy stories would sure help me right now. I havent smoked since last night and im craving it. The girlfriend situation seems to make it worse not help.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haven't had weed since the late 70's, and even then I mixed it sometimes with acid, but most often with Alcohol.

I consider myself a dual addict. Been off drugs since 77 and alcohol since 78.

The only way I was able to stay sober was with the face to face help of others recovering from the same situation I was. I went to AA. Don't know what would have happened if there had been forums like this one when I first entered sobriety. At that time you considered yourself lucky to have a PC with 64K memory. No RAM, no hard drive and no modem.

Even though I'm on SR fairly often these days and have some secure sobriety under my belt, I still go to AA, mostly for the fellowship, but also to give it away, .... and get put in my place from time to time

I would suggest NA. It's in your area.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Haven't had weed since the late 70's, and even then I mixed it sometimes with acid, but most often with Alcohol.

I consider myself a dual addict. Been off drugs since 77 and alcohol since 78.

The only way I was able to stay sober was with the face to face help of others recovering from the same situation I was. I went to AA. Don't know what would have happened if there had been forums like this one when I first entered sobriety. At that time you considered yourself lucky to have a PC with 64K memory. No RAM, no hard drive and no modem.

Even though I'm on SR fairly often these days and have some secure sobriety under my belt, I still go to AA, mostly for the fellowship, but also to give it away, .... and get put in my place from time to time

I would suggest NA. It's in your area.
thank you fred,im going to a NA meeting tonight. It will be my first meeting. I can't do it alone im learning.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there!

Today is my first day in recovery, although my demon is alcohol, i am detoxing right now and its horrid but i have today sober! I am in So Cal also, Del Mar.

Good luck, your so not alone!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamygal View Post
Hi there!

Today is my first day in recovery, although my demon is alcohol, i am detoxing right now and its horrid but i have today sober! I am in So Cal also, Del Mar.

Good luck, your so not alone!
way to go dreamgal! Im up here in lovely victorville hahaha,so glad i found this site! Looking forward to the many great things to come even though its gonna be tough.

good luk to you as well!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SunnySoCal

I smoked pot, more or less daily, for nearly 30 years.
Quitting was hard but not impossible.

I was irritable, listless and had trouble sleeping for a while, but it wasn't agony - at least not for me.

I had to make some pretty big changes in my life tho to make my recovery last - drop some friends, and get a lot more active in my life.

Although I never went that route, I hope NA will be a big help too

Welcome aboard
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Sunny!
We all lean on each other here.
Wishing you the best of luck on your journey.
It gets easier with time
Stay strong and post often!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you everybody for the kind words
Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi SunnySoCal~

I would recommend anything Fred says I have read his posts and he has good solid REAL sobriety!!!!!

I know nothing of smoking pot, wasn't my thing but I think there is a forum for that too

Good luck to you!!!