Notices

i dont know how to help myself.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i dont know how to help myself.

I am a weekend binge drinker. I dont drink on a friday but as soon as i start on a saturday i seem to make up for it. I drink more than most but dont drink on a day to day basis. I will be the first 1 there to drink and always the last one to leave. Even on my way home i will stop by at any house party to the dissatisfaction of my partner, it could easily go into the sunday. If not i usualy wake back up and start again. Its been affecting me turning up at work on mondays. I can honestly say that i have went roughly about 20 weekends at most without a drink since i was eighteen. I am now 28. Thats not including the many , many times through the week that i have had a drink for the football on tv. Most of the time i drink i wake up in the morning wondering what i have done the night before. Im active in sports and think i would be a lot fitter without it, it would allow me to spend more time with my partner and children but i just cant get the first few weekends under my belt. How do i get started? i am embarressed to go to a meeting. i think this is the first time ive even admitted to anyone i have a problem. my dad was an alcoholic and stopped drinking after years of alcohol abuse and ending up in hospital. thats not been enough to put me off.

help and advice appreciated.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Troy....There are different ways to quit....I needed some support from people like myself so I use the program of Alcoholics Anonymous....You can look up the helpline in your area and arrange for someone to take you to a meeting if you don't feel comfortable...I'd recommend you try a couple...Just go and listen...You don't have to say a word...If you like what you see...Like I did....You're on your way. This is a website that deals with going to your first meeting...Take a look at it. Continue to read and post here...Ask questions...Glad you are here Troy.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's our list of Recovery Programs, Troy:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Troy if you really want to stop drinking then I suggest you go to a meeting on every day you normally might drink. Here is a link to phone numbers to find AA meetings (and helpful people to speak with 1 on 1). Alcoholics Anonymous : Local Resources that provide A.A. Meeting Information You don’t need to speak, you can listen and see what you think. It will take a bit of courage to call though.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of help to stop out there, but you have to make the decision to reach out and take it. Like others here, I've found my way with AA. Go to some meetings, talk to people, get some phone numbers and then if things get tough you know people that have been there and can help you.

Welcome to SR
Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here Troy

I found the support here really helped - keep reading and posting - especially as the weekend looms up

Good to have you with us

D
Old 09-01-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks people for the advice. Still not had the balls to phone an aa group. Went for a game of pool last night and never had a sip. Wanted to but no-one else did so i never bothered. Dont know if this is a good thing that i never had 1 myself or that i buckled so easy as soon as my mates mentioned pool the first question i asked was are we having a few beers.

Saturday now so the hard work begins for me. Think ill need to find something to do tonight to keep myself occupied.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Troy747 View Post
Thanks people for the advice. Still not had the balls to phone an aa group. Went for a game of pool last night and never had a sip. Wanted to but no-one else did so i never bothered. Dont know if this is a good thing that i never had 1 myself or that i buckled so easy as soon as my mates mentioned pool the first question i asked was are we having a few beers.

Saturday now so the hard work begins for me. Think ill need to find something to do tonight to keep myself occupied.
As far as making a phone call goes...Nobody is going to hurt you through a telephone....Or at an AA meeting. Just do it.....Say you are interested in stopping drinking....You don't even have to say what your name is. You say you don't know how to help yourself.....I know for myself....I had to take a break from hanging around with friends and playing pool....Or I would drink. That was a no brainer. And Friday and Saturday nights?....I went to meetings....I knew I'd be safe and not drink there....That's how bad I wanted to help myself...It worked,. It's 14 months without a drink for me today. For me helping myself meant doing things I wasn't comfortable doing.....But I was killing myself with this stuff....They had to be done. Good luck to you.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Troy

Finding something else to do on a saturday may help you... I had to stop going out to quit drinking even though I was an every day at home drinker. Breaking habits can be hard but I'm actually amazed that it's possible If I can do it then I am certain you can. Hang around SR when you're finding it tough or check out one of the recovery programs. There are actually a lot to choose from. Also check out the 'Class of September' thread. Even just that extra layer of support can really help x
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! Getting thru the first few days/weeks can be rough but hang in there - it does get better.