Notices

Insomnia!! Any advice?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia!! Any advice?

Hi Everyone,

First I want to say, being a newcomer, I am already totally in love with this site. I've tried others & never once got a response. Here, so many people are so caring and understanding, going thru their own problems but still wanting to give advice & help me out. For the first time, I actually feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not alone.

I only started 2 days ago...sad enough, I can't call it my 'sobriety' date. But I don't consider myself as failing again. It feels different. Both Mon. & Tues. I had 2 glasses of wine, with ice water before, in between & after...which for me is fabulous!! It was hard, very hard. Found myself pacing at times...& a bit moody. Sorry to my hubby. He actually drinks too. Loves sipping on his scotch at night after work, but seems to have much more control than I. He has the capability of stopping. We don't necessarily enable each other, but it's become quite the habit for us (ummm, am I fooling myself by saying that it's not 'enabling'?). I don't think it's fair for him to have to quit tho, when I'm the one with the problem. Luckily, I hate scotch...so it doesn't seem to bother me when he's drinking & I'm not.

But here's my problem...the last 2 nights have been miserable sleeping! If I've managed to get 3 hours, it would surprise me. And when I am sleeping, I am having crazy, very vivid dreams so that I'm not getting sound sleep. I toss & turn, and am either cold or sweating. It actually scares me to think that my brain seems to be that hooked on this stuff. That cutting down to 2 glasses of wine I'm suffering withdrawals? Wow! I want to cry. How long does this last? Is there anything I can do to help with this? I still feel like I'm in a fog because of the lack of sleep. At least I'm not sick with a hangover.

Looking forward to finding out what I'm actually like with a sober mind.
Thanks again to everyone.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep much the first week or so, one of the oldtiimers said that nobody had died from lack of sleep yet and that I’d be OK.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think there is still a list fo what to expect during withdrawal or a reduction of consuming alcohol. Sleep disturbance is common but I am no expert. I know I have days of insomnia at times myself.

Look out on the web. All I can say is for me , it passes with time. It may take time. If in question see your Dr and be honest about what's going on.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry about your poor sleep and vivid dreams Could definitely be related to your cutting back. I read that drinking 24 ounces of wine a day for a year or longer will indicate likelihood of withdrawal issues. A regular size bottle of wine has just over 25 ounces. I did not know this information prior to quitting my daily intake of a bottle or more of wine. I did not taper. Had three weeks of not feeling well, And now I know it was withdrawal after reading up. Very scary. Good to report that after the first weeks, it gets better and better every day. Best wishes to you in finding the life you want.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had terrible insomnia while drinking and for a couple months after. I cant tell you exactly when it changed, but it was shortly after my 5th step. Call it a coincidence if you wish, but I know what it really was. My conscience was at rest for the first time in a long time. I sleep like a baby now and still am so grateful for that. I hope you can get some help with this because I can feel your pain. 8 hours is a long time when you are lying awake at night.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just to clarify what I posted: the quitting drinking was not scary, it was the fact that my drinking had been such that it led to withdrawal. Never in my life did I think I had a problem of that magnitude.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Insomina ans terrible sweating is common with me the first few days. Also waking every hour. It will pass and when it does, you'll be shocked at how well you sleep. WAY better than the "passed out" sleep.

To be honest, The couple glasses of wine might be hurting your sleeping more than helping. Try drinking plenty of water and a cup of hot tea before bed.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaz,

The insomnia will likely clear up as time goes by. However, I do believe that by cutting back, you are kind of elongating the withdrawl process. Once you stop drinking, your body will begin to adjust and you will start finding ways to deal physically and emotionally.

I think it's very scary when we finally realize what a grip alcohol has on our lives. No one ever intended to become an alcohol, and yet, here we are. The good news is that you can get through this, and stop drinking and live a sober life.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've read so many scary things that can happen to people when they quit cold turkey, that I've been scared to do it. Thinking that I should wean myself off of alcohol? Or maybe that's just an excuse...just fooling myself. I'm beginning to believe the latter. It's hard to look yourself in the mirror.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Going cold turkey, after talking to your dr, is the best way to do it. Weaning from alcohol is almost impossible for us to manage. I tried countless times and always ended up drinking more. Have faith that you can do this.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

When i fully quit , my sleep sorted itself out eventually after about 1 month, the sweats after about 10 days . I found 2 bananas helpfull about an hour before bed , something to do with the potassium maybe or just something comfy in my stomach .

Bestwishes, M
Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Going cold turkey, after talking to your dr, is the best way to do it. Weaning from alcohol is almost impossible for us to manage. I tried countless times and always ended up drinking more. Have faith that you can do this.
I did swallow my pride & was totally honest with my doc about 2 months ago. She did tons of blood work & even a liver ultrasound. With luck on my side, everything came back normal. (Yet, at that time, I continued to drink. ugh!) I just need to step up, have faith as you say, & try to quit completely. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i was the same way it does get better trust me- day 13 still having diff with sleeping but feeling good. the first few days can be a challenge- get some good exercise in that is huge. Keep it up!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stick with it! The insomnia is HORRIBLE with nothing to quieten your washing machine head, bit i found it passed over a few nights. Then my body kicked into catching up with years and years of drunken half sleep. It may sound ridiculous, but sleep was one of the biggest rewards i got from stopping drinking and using. Real, deep sleep. Not, as the poster above says, just passing out. Once i began to sleep properly, i improved so much physically. Stick with it, it WILL PASS because everything does. Keep posting. xx
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is common Jaz - but it won't get better while you're drinking - even if it's only a couple of glasses - it's enough to keep the keep the cycle going and is probably contributing to your insomnia not helping it.

Like Anna said, if you're worried about withdrawal see a Dr - its a far better option than tapering IMO

D
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Insomnia is a common problem. If your body is used to having alcohol in it everynight it's going to take awhile to adjust. For me, things got better after a few days.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had problems sleeping too when I first quit.
Then I cannot get enough sleep.
I go to bed really early and have to drag myself out of bed.
I wonder if that is because i used to knock myself unconscious every night for years and years rather than getting any quality sleep?

I find it helps though if I

- avoid naps during the day
- stay away frm caffeine after 3pm
- have a mikly drink in bed whilst reading
- taking some exercise during the day - walking, swimming etc.
- sometimes use an other the counter sleep aid from a chemist like nytol for a few nights.
- don't lay in bed fretting I cannot sleep. If I cannot I get up, read, have a warm drink but don't do anything too energetic.
- Try to look forward to going to bed rather than dread it so I would not get anxious about not sleeping as then I would probably not.
- try to have super busy days so I tired myself out.

Hang on, you will get there

xxxx
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, Jaz. Have you tried taking melatonin? It's available over the counter in most drugstores and even grocery stores here in the U.S. Melatonin has saved me several times and rewarded me with a great night's sleep - and no grogginess the next morning, either.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Jaz,
I agree wiyh both Dee and Anna. I dont get the feeling from your posts that you feel the need to quit and you are exploring moderation.
It never worked for me.
All the best
CaiHong
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Insomnia any advice

Jaz
I have done what you are doing (twice), I slowly cut down, drank low alcohol wine etc before stopping..The first time I had poor sleep , nightmares, seats etc .This time I have had natural medication eg Valerium Capsule (only 1 a night) etc these have helped. Last night I thought I'd try without it and only got 3 hours and I am tired today.. just thought I'd share