Notices

Recognising my triggers

Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recognising my triggers

After 29 days sober I am starting to recognise the triggers which used to make me want to drink. I am feeling a little stressed at the moment about making a career decision and my immediate thought was to have a drink after work. I didn't though and I'm so pleased, I know it wouldn't have helped me in making up my mind.
Why do we want to drink to escape from reality, things don't become easier if we get drunk, decisions still have to be made the next day and having a hangover makes decision making so much harder.
I am happy sober and that's the way I intend to stay
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 29 days.
Sounds like you're thinking is on track.
After a couple of beers I think that I'm thinking straighter but, in reality, the plans I come up with aren't worth a flip.

Crazy disease.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Helbel
Being 7 months down the line, I can say that the triggers stay, but if you can recognise them you can beat them

I am currently in danger of losing my job, which 7 months ago would have sent me straight to the nearest bar (which conveniently is both directly below and next door to my office)

However now, I realise that wont help, it will give me a brief buzz, then drop me into worse despair.

I treasure my sobriety now. Sobriety is the crutch I need to keep me going, not drunkenness

Keep on, life still sucks, but it sucks better without booze

BP
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was stressed/excited/anxious/angry/etc I only knew how to dull those emotions rather than actually deal with them. Any sort of overwhelming feeling was just too much and I didn't know what to do with myself but drink. It took me out of the 'whoa I feel crazy' and into the 'ahhhh everything is OK now' but of course, the next day I felt crazier than ever and it was completely useless. Learning to deal with overwhelming emotion, or even energy for me, has been quite tricky... I still find it difficult to know what to do with myself sometimes, but I would never consider drinking to 'solve' it now.

It was all about escaping responsibility for me, I think.