Notices

Not keeping track of sober days

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not keeping track of sober days

This time around I'm not really counting days. I was trying to at first, but then I kept forgetting what day I was on, and I'd have to go back to a calendar and check. I know my sober date is August 9th, and I know that on September 9th I'll probably think "oh wow it's been a month," but other than that, I am not paying a lot of attention to it. It doesn't feel like such a struggle to get through every day sober like it did the first around. Some days are very hard but others are quite easy. I've been trying to focus on other life goals and keep myself busy with productive things, and so sometimes I even forget that I have this alcoholism issue going on I'm trying to beat. Is that good or bad? I can't decide.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hi Pigtails, counting the days is a cornerstone of my sobriety, but by all means, whatever it takes for you to be sober, do it.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I often think of the counting of days as a "device" that sort of keeps me on track. I can also see where not making a big deal out of the number of days could be a good strategy as well. It would fit in with part of my tack, which is to keep myself pretty busy (without wearing myself out.) Whatever works for you, I say go for it!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hiya Pigtails!

I'm not keeping track either. However, I do have this nifty little app that keeps track for me if I ever want to know. For me, I rather like the idea of not counting days -- it's easier for me to just accept the fact that I'm a non-drinker.

Congrats on your impending one-monthish-but-not-counting milestone. Wishing you happy sober ju-ju.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I start counting, I go by my last drunk date. Have a sobriety date or last drunk date, and then you can keep track of how far you have come at whatever interval you choose.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pigtails, I counted by month last time. This time I'm doing it by day.

Don't think it matters really how we do it as long as we are sober.

You're doing great.

Gxx
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Counting works for some and not for others.

I counted but I've come to see the numbers as relatively unimportant - it's what we do to stay sober that really counts I think PT.

I've been trying to focus on other life goals and keep myself busy with productive things, and so sometimes I even forget that I have this alcoholism issue going on I'm trying to beat.
depends if you're genuinely forgetting about it, or whether you're trying to deny it/wanting it to go away...

(just making an general observation from my own history - I've done both....)

D
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For me counting days was not productive. I found it induced anxiety, and it kept me focused on those things I wasn't doing anymore. At least early on in recovery.

My goal is to have a fulfilling life. If not doing certain things helps me achieve that goal, awesome. If doing certain things is fulfilling my life, awesome.

My personality is such that I recognize that anything I count days about is something I am obsessed about, and usually negatively. How many days till that dr's appt? How many days since my boyfriend called? How many days till that bill I a worried over is due?

That's just me. When I lay something down, I find it healthier for my mind to lay it down and move on.

Now, I should tell you that I am also someone who has to sit and do the math to figure out how old I am, how old my kids are, can't remember the year my car came out etc. I'm just not a numbers sort of person.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I clicked on SOBERTIME at the upper lefthand top of this page...its actually a cool little calculator.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont really count anymore.
i wake up every am, think about it and run to a gratitude thread
Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't count the days at all. I have no idea how many days I'm at but I know in 3 days time I'll be five months sober.

Actually, I kinda just guessed the 1st of April, too. I was a binge drinker and didn't drink every day, so I don't actually know the date of my last drink, but since I knew that it was somewhere around the 1st and the 1st was an easy date to remember, I chose it.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
I've been trying to focus on other life goals and keep myself busy with productive things, and so sometimes I even forget that I have this alcoholism issue going on I'm trying to beat. Is that good or bad? I can't decide.
I think that's fantastic!

I forget most of the time, unless I'm in a situation where alcohol is or used to be involved. I don't want to remember day in and day out that I'm an alcoholic and all the troubles that come along with it. I want to live my life as I would whether I had alcohol issues or not. And, at the end of the day, you're no longer drinking, so I'd say enjoy your life as if you ARE a non-drinker. Because that's the truth
Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For me, someone who drank daily for over 30 years, I counted days because each one sober was a miracle for me. I found strength from racking them up.

I used to think that those that didn't count their sobriety days were those that had the hardest time accumulating them.

But I know that is just a generalization, as posts from Threshold, MrsKing, and others prove. And as I tick ever closer to two years sober, I too have quit counting the days. Now my sober day is an anniversary.

Yearly I will celebrate my new sober life. Daily I will live it.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'm with you, Pigtails. I know my last drunk date, but that's it. For me, counting days is like being told not to think about elephants because it keeps my attention on drinking when what I want to be doing is sobering. It's like counting days since I've been out of prison - there's another one, whew. I never forget that I don't drink, the same way I don't forget that I don't chew my nails like I used to. I guess my obsession has been lifted from me, so that includes obsessing about 'how many days I have'. I have today, so let's get at it.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've learned that God grants me a daily reprieve from my alcoholism, so I take my sobriety one day at a time.

Today I've been sober since I woke up at 4:00 a.m.

Zube
Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good question and GREAT SHARES.

"Yearly I will celebrate my new sober life. Daily I will live it." <--LOVE

I tend to think about my sobriety gratefully when I tuck into bed at night. It's still a warm, glowing comfort to be in bed sober. In the morning I'm up and at 'em. One of my Promises was that I could have a wonderful day if I JUST START IT SOBER. So for me, the night before is the key.

Glad you're here Pigtails, and everyone else.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm not into counting either, but I don't think there's anything inherently good or bad about it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I like the racking up of the numbers but I don't like the counting. Part of it is it's a mood thing. If I'm in a good mood and having a good day my number seems excellent. If it's a rough day, it seems like such a small number it makes me feel like it's insurmountable. I don't want to feel like that, because it triggers the AV to do the happy dance lol

If we didn't count though, there would be no measure of our real success and progress so it is important in the whole scheme of things...

I think it's a good thing Pigtails that you're filling your life with other more interesting things and taking the focus off booze.