Notices

Giving therapy a try

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Giving therapy a try

I am going to give therapy a try, in conjunction with meetings.
Any time I was in counseling in the past it was not by choice and , I lied about stuff.

This is now something I really want to do! I am tired of lying.
I have an appointment on Thursday morning.
Wow. :o
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wishing you the very best of luck. That is a courageous move. Being open and honest is the only way to go x
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful!

I think it's likely to be a valuable step for you to take.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I saw a counselor too, none of this is easy, little of it is pleasant.. but it sure can be helpful. Let us know how it goes!! I was terrified walking in the door, and telling him why I was there. When he didn't freak out and run from the room and just made it a safe place for me to work on myself, I was relieved and felt like I could actually do this.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great move stairs! Sooner or later the truth comes out. I drank to avoid dealing with the root cause of my unhappiness. When I quit, there it was staring me in the face. I'm glad you're taking control and dealing with the issues at hand .

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Therapy really helped me understand why I am the way I am, and what was the true catalyst to my addiction... Absolutely priceless.

Good move, and good luck !
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Count me in on starting therapy too after a melt down and alcohol driven mania again last week. For now I have a job still and will work with my employers and my own counselling. This is not the first time but the cat's out fully to my boss and there is no way I will get anywhere without complete honesty as fully emphasized in the BB. I think deception to others and to myself has been a large part of my issues with alcohol and in life.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks everyone!!!

I'm kind of excited, a little scared, breathe breathe.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck with your appointment, and congrats on making the decision. I went into therapy to better understand my addictive behavior, just couldn't hide the truth from myself any longer. Total honesty, painful as it may be, is necessary. I wish you well, big hug and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good decision - I finished 3 months of thepary last week.

It was very useful to open up to someone who could help me with my paranoia and depression.

I am now leading an active social life and have tools to deal with my drug induced paranoia.

I was also introduced to medidation which I am slowly warming to as it helps me to relax.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Therapy helped me stairs - hope it helps you too - good luck!

D
Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

It would disingenuous of me to say that therapy has been THE difference, but it has made A difference. Much like anything, you will get out as much as you put in. Don't be afraid, it is a safe environment.

And "Hi" from one south central PA resident to another!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks for the great replies!! Tomorrow morning , it's showtime. Well hopefully not "showtime" lol. That's what I'm trying to get away from.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it will be good for you...I'll bet you feel great when you get out of there...Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

IMO being tired of lying is a big step forward, good luck, and hope it goes well on thursday.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been seeing a counselor for four years and not just for my addiction, but for all aspects of my life. She's been a lifesaver and a real treasure. I hope she never leaves her job.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good for you stairs.

....and even for the AA crowd, "go to any lengths" right? That sounds like a good "length" to go to for you Stairs.

I did outpatient for 3 yrs (+ or -). 2yrs were court-ordered, the last one was because I liked it. Still like it.....just couldn't afford it - for now.

One word of advice I'd offer: Don't EXPECT it to feel good.

Therapists have a tough job....if they tell you what you need to hear, you may not like hearing it. If you don't like it, you may go somewhere else to hear what you want to hear. If they just tell you what you want to hear......are they really helping you?

My experience in therapy was similar to doing 4th step inventory and 5th step sharing - it set me free in a lot of areas.........but it kicked my butt along the way. If it was a pleasant meeting.....or a pat-me-on-the-head session.....I'd get bothered and call the therapist out. Hell, I was there to get some work done.... I have all the delusional drinking buddies in the world to tell me what a great guy I am.

I had a lifetime of professional body-burying. My psyche was full of rotting corpses only I didn't know where they were. Sure could sense them though, ya know? A good therapist will have some ideas on where to look.....and some tools on how to help you dig that stuff up. As for dealing with what I discovered.....I can't say enough about AA and the steps. That's where I learned to live life WITH all that crap.......to do it sober.....and to do it with a smile at the end of the day.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks guys.

"Rotting corpses"!?!?! Nice, DT. Thanks for the advice. LOLOL.

:rotfxko
Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Have a good session today, stairs! I have one myself!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks WTH, you too.

Then later I've got an NA meeting, looking forward to that also. Last one my friends dropped me off and made me find a ride home. LOL.

They want me to get out of my comfort zone and ask for help. It worked out fine. I had a ride home within 2 minutes of arriving.