Notices

struggle wit selfharm, looking for sponser

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggle wit selfharm, looking for sponser

hi im new here... so im trying to figure things out..so i hope im doing this right...
anyways im 20 years old and i have an addiction with self harm... i have been doing it off and on for 6 years!!!! anyways this year got really bad.... to the point i couldnt stop... so i seek out for help and have been going to a diffrent chatroom for help but its not enough... in the last month i had a huge awakning.. my family found out and my bf broke up with me cuz of it... he still wants to be wit me but i have to give up self harm and get help.... i really wanna stop not just for him of my family.. but for me and god.... i dont want this to control my life and i know im sick but i wanted to get better so bad... i have been clean for 3 weeks which is as long as my ex and i have been seperated..... i really want to get better and live the life god wants for me....

im looking for a sponser.. if u are able to help me or know someone who can please let me know.... i really want to get better and it means so much to me.. thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Pegily

We mainly deal with substance abuse here but you will find a few cutting related threads in our Mental Health forum - and everyone is always welcome here

There are other boards given over exclusively to self harm issues that may be of more immediate help to you - I can recommend this one

bus • Index page

D
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello pegily:
Self harm usually goes along with substance abuse.. drugs or alcohol. I have found members in both AA and NA who cut or abused themselves.
Have you gone to AA or NA meetings in your area? You may find just the answers you are looking for there. It would be a great place to begin seeking the help you need.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Welcome!

Have you gone to see a therapist? That would be a great place to start. Ask your doctor with help finding one or some local agencies have sliding fee scales for therapy if needed.

I have self harmed in the past. It's awful. I also have a history of eating disorders and addiction issues. They all seem to have very similar roots. I am 36 now, and a married mother of two, and haven't self harmed in well over a decade- but I remember the feelings and experiences of doing so like it was yesterday and I am so sorry that you are going through this- but you can get better.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi pegily, so glad you found our forums!

and so glad about your three weeks! you're off to a great start.

I abused drugs, alcohol, food, and myself for a long time. For me, the underlying issues that caused me to do those behaviors were the same. As I got into recovery for substance abuse, and truly worked on changing my approach to LIFE, not just to booze and drugs, I began to heal in those other areas.

I discovered that I could live, and live richly without those substances and behaviors holding me back.

You didn't mention if you are in any sort of recovery group or program. Many people here have a "real time" group as well as using these forums and other sites to help them in their recovery.

Do check out the mental health section here, but also hang around this section etc, because the experiences and discussion probably offer a lot you can use.

I cut for several decades, you are not alone in that. Even though it is discussed more in the "mental health" section of these forums, it is not a sign that cutters are "crazy" or rare, or different from other addicts.

hugs
Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR forum. Lots of great people here. Lots of assorted approaches to getting sobriety.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Pegily, my husband Fred G alerted me to your post as I have experience re self-harming during my drinking/drugging years but I haven't needed to harm myself in any way since I got sober almost 20 years ago.
I found that self-harming almost always goes along with other addictions or mental health issues so plz do check out appropriate 12 step self-help groups too.

I always found that a real-world group and sponsor is the best way to keep us honest face-to-face, but if that is impossible then online help is indeed better than none.
Plz message me & we can chat that way as there is only so much I'm willing to disclose or discuss on a forum level.
Take care & God Bless.
Barb G
Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Welcome
i self injure ...i have done for many year now and am trying to stop
i take it one day at a time
oh i recommended recoveryourlife.com