Notices

Newbie :)

Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie :)

So I'm finally tapering down my alcohol intake and hoping to be able to just enjoy the odd social wine. I'm on antibiotics for pneumonia and this has forced me to cut back even though i've been trying to do this for a while. I have been drinking a bottle of wine daily since my son was born almost 2 years ago. I don't suffer any hangovers but know that this amount of wine can't be good for me. I had one glass of wine yesterday since starting my antibiotics and had severe anxiety, sweating, insomnia etc last night and I've had one glass today. I'm planning on continuing with this regimen for another 3 days before going completely sober Not sure what I will do with myself all day once I no longer have wine to keep me company but I'll just have to cross that bridge once I get to it. Thanks for listening
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Butterfly

I was recently on antibiotics and the Dr made it clear to me the interaction of the med and alcohol can make you sick.

If the antibiotics didn't come with a leaflet, you might want to check with your Dr to see if your particular antibiotic is the same.

It might be good to speak to your Dr anyway if you've been drinking regularly for a while.

as for that 'odd glass of wine' I was never able to do that - it was all or nothing for me - but I wish you the best.

Welcome
D
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR, butterfly.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it right now, but glad you are taking a serious look at your drinking.

So about the odd social wine... I don't think you find a whole lot of people who managed to dial it down like that once they'd crossed into physical and emotional dependency. It's sort of like we all seem to hit a point of no return, without even realizing it at the time.

The good news? You don't need it. Give sobriety some time, get through those first difficult weeks, and I bet you won't even want it.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, no I didn't tell my Dr about the drinking but I did check out the leaflet and I googled it as well and there didn't seem to be any contraindications with alcohol. I have thought of quitting heaps of times but whenever I tried in the past I just end up drinking more than usual So I was just scared that if I went cold turkey this time then it would make really sick especially combined with the pneumonia.

Thank you for your words of support ReadyAndAble, it gives me hope that maybe I can live a happy sober life. I'm so sick of lying to everyone including myself, I drink my bottle of wine between 11am and 2pm every day while my husband is at work so he has no idea of whats going on with me and I feel to ashamed to tell him as I know how upset he would be considering he grew up with an alcoholic mother. I'm scared to give it all up but also looking forward to a new life
Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Butterfly ,
Might be best to sort the drinking out before the kid starts kindergarten / school . Whilst he/she is off your hands you could take up some form of excersise to help build up a healthy social group around you , drink is pritty isolating .

I hope you post again and keep us all informed of how you're doing even if it's not so good ,

bestwishes & goodluck, M
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Butterfly

I think it would be a good idea to tell your doctor that you are quitting drinking. It might be a case that tapering off with meds would be better for you than with actual alcohol if you are on antibiotics. Also it does sound like you are having withdrawal symptoms and medical help is always advisable.

Glad you're here x
Old 08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mecanix, I think some exercise is a great idea

I've made an appt to see my dr tomorrow and so far I have been able to stick to one glass a day and I haven't had one yet today - I feel like I'm headed in the right direction
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Butterfly. Hope it helps to discuss your situation - we all care about you.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Butterfly,
I too drank wine. It seems like wine is everywhere ....I notice people's grocery carts these days I wasn't successful trying to moderate in summer 2011, but quit this summer and feel so much better. I'm betting you'll feel better too. It will be a relief to not have to hide it from your husband.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Butterfly)) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You probably don't get hangovers cause you aren't sober long enough! My friend was like that, but had to be hospitalized for DT's when she stopped drinking.....

Glad you are here!!